Default Welded Snap ring on rudder bracket

I'm working through replacing the seals in the rudder bracket and when disassembling I found the top snap ring is rust welded into place and so far I'm not able to budge it.

I've tried soaking it in penetrating lube for a couple days and prying with all sort of picks, but cant get it to pry.

Any ideas?

Go buy some snap ring pliers , and use them to remove the ring , or just take a flat head and a good hammer and drive her home . Lol

I would use the snap ring pliers . Maybe some heat too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

I've got snap ring pliers. Both of the eyelets for the ring are rusted away and the ring itself is broken apart into 4 pieces but each of the 4 pieces is welded into the channel really tight. I've put a torch to it and let it sit unit the bits of snap ring were glowing red but still couldn't budge it with the picks. This is the side of the bracket that would have always been in water and I'm guessing it's the original snap ring.

Here's a couple of better pics.

Yeah there is no clip left ! Lol , you need a small wire wheel on a air grinder to clean things up , the rust is what's made the clip swell , nothing more than getting a good thin flat head and working it out without damaging the groove ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

You may need to machine it out failing the wire brush method. On another note, can you mention the seal Part no. or sizes when you replace it. I need to do mine and could do with a head start.

Carlossa - for the p/n check this thread. I think I remember the number had changed but you can find it at bestpartsonline by the dimensions (28.58 x 37.95 x 6.35 VC NBR). The linked thread has the rest of the info on the snap rings.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...le-rudder-port

Thanks Coose