Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tower Speaker Upgrade Advice

I have 2011 Supra Launch 242 with a progressive tower. The tower has Roswell Speaker/Light bar mounted that came from the factory. The Roswell cans have Polk Audio MM speakers in them. They are weak at best for Surfing or wake boarding.

I like the light bar/speaker combo, but are there better options out there that I need to look at? Any advice on direction would be appreciated.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Are they the 2.7 ohm mm651 or the 4 ohm UM series?
    You are going to be hard pressed to make a substantial gain going from one 6.5" with a 1" dome tweeter to another 6.5" with a 1" dome tweeter. Yes, you get a change in how they sound, but not in output. Both those polk models have similar specs and similar power handling to most other 6.5" speakers. This levels the playing field in terms of output as there is no magical way to get more out of a speaker. You are seriously under powering them or the tuning is way off. if all else is in target, you would need to go with more speakers or larger speakers. If its more mid-bass you want, larger speaker is the only answer.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I love my WetSounds 410 Tower speakers, 2-10" speakers that project the clarity wether you are surfing,wakeboard or on the tube. They were priced around $1400 and I waited until the end of the year and paid $1100. You won't be disappointed!!
    Last edited by MoneyMike80; 03-27-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Picture is upside down

Here is a picture of what I'm working with. I'm not opposed to ditching the light bar/speaker combo. Don't really use the lights. I haven't pulled the speakers to see what they truly are so I'm not sure of exact specs.

Tower Speakers.jpg
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Quote Originally Posted by 4alkings View Post
    Here is a picture of what I'm working with. I'm not opposed to ditching the light bar/speaker combo. Don't really use the lights. I haven't pulled the speakers to see what they truly are so I'm not sure of exact specs.

Tower Speakers.jpg
    Switching them out with a larger speaker with more power will be the best all around bang for your buck, improvement wise. Two Rev10's or 2 Rev8's properly powered and tuned will be louder and project more than four (Polk) 6.5" speakers pushed to their RMS power specs, The 410 is also a good choice as mentioned and two of these will be KING.
    So if you want a major change in sound, I would suggest changing the tower speakers and amplifier out to larger more powerful speakers.

Amp that I currently have running tower speakers is Kicker KXM400.2. I'm guessing that I will need to upgrade this as well.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Quote Originally Posted by 4alkings View Post
    Amp that I currently have running tower speakers is Kicker KXM400.2. I'm guessing that I will need to upgrade this as well.
    With that amp, there would be a significant wattage difference between 2 pair of the 2.7 ohm MM and the 2 pair of 4 ohm UM. A difference of 200W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm to a pair wired in parallel and maybe 80W rms x 2 @ 5.4 ohm to a pair wired in series. Thats a difference of 60W rms per speaker.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    With that amp, there would be a significant wattage difference between 2 pair of the 2.7 ohm MM and the 2 pair of 4 ohm UM. A difference of 200W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm to a pair wired in parallel and maybe 80W rms x 2 @ 5.4 ohm to a pair wired in series. Thats a difference of 60W rms per speaker.
    So I really need to find out what I have and how they are wired.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Yes. You could be leaving more than half the amps potential, on the table.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Okay, I dug a little deeper today. Speakers are Polk MM651UM. Label says they are 3ohm 100 watt. Tested one on a meter and it read 3.2 ohm. They are wired parallel.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242