Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The new MC rudder port I used was also bigger on the OD of the tube. I was originally planning to bolt plywood to the hull, mark center, and drill appropriate size with a hole saw. Turns out it was not really much bigger. I used a small 3 stone cylinder hone on a drill with 40 or 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it. Didn't take too long to open up the hole and I was able to sneak up on it for a snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    The new MC rudder port I used was also bigger on the OD of the tube. I was originally planning to bolt plywood to the hull, mark center, and drill appropriate size with a hole saw. Turns out it was not really much bigger. I used a small 3 stone cylinder hone on a drill with 40 or 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around it. Didn't take too long to open up the hole and I was able to sneak up on it for a snug fit.
    Sweet , I have a ball stone I was thinking of using , I contacted machine shop today and said he could have it done in a hour . Still checking push rod length on the engine and then I should be ready to install this thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Default Rudder play ? How much is too much ?

I got the rudder today , looks good , 1.630 ID is the hole from the boat and the rudder post is 2.050 OD , so little over a 1/4" , but my issue is if I machine the key on the opposite side I won't have that much material for holding . So I think I have it welded and then machined back to the opposite side . Dropping it off tomorrow and the local machine shop . Shouldn't be to complicated to do . I'll update when it comes back . Any thoughts comments

Second thought I may just have them fab up a different tiller arm and leave the shaft alone . That seems easiest option but I'll leave that up to the machinist to decide on tooling and such

Dropped it off , he is going to weld up the shaft and make it happen for the opposite side . Said should take a couple hours .

What I've done before to increase the size of a hole is place a hole saw that matches the existing hole inside the size that you need and use it as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by luciussol View Post
    What I've done before to increase the size of a hole is place a hole saw that matches the existing hole inside the size that you need and use it as a guide.

Yeah the existing hole was 1.630 on the calipers and 1-1/2 was too small . So I just made that up to enlarge the hole to 2" and it worked out great

. I got the rudder in tonight , I had to re position the tilt tube for the steering to make a full left turn ,the old original rudder was "clocked" at like 1 o'clock and this one was done at 3 o'clock , not a big deal , but if I was to do it again I would have had the machinist change the angle . But best yet there is no slop ! And it turns beautiful ! My 4 yr old had been breaking it in for about 30 min now lol . All in all $340.00 rudder $100.00 machine shop fee .