Default Deep cycle and cranking battery question

It seems that most agree a deep cycle bat is best for the house and a cranking bat for cranking. It seems like most also agree that when the battery switch is moved to 1&2, the batteries instantly equalize. My question is wouldn't that make the cranking battery experience substantial cycling? I realize it wouldn't be going from 100% to 0% and back like the house bat might but isn't 100% to 50% more of a cycle than a cranking bat is expected to handle? If a deep cycle has plenty of cranking amps to crank the engine, could it be better to use deep cycles only?
    03 Launch 22V
    3) 800lb sacks, Perfect Pass
    Fusion head, JL amps, Wet Sounds Interior/Tower Speakers, 10" Sub
    "Anyone have a stainless steel magnet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillski View Post
    It seems that most agree a deep cycle bat is best for the house and a cranking bat for cranking. It seems like most also agree that when the battery switch is moved to 1&2, the batteries instantly equalize. My question is wouldn't that make the cranking battery experience substantial cycling? I realize it wouldn't be going from 100% to 0% and back like the house bat might but isn't 100% to 50% more of a cycle than a cranking bat is expected to handle? If a deep cycle has plenty of cranking amps to crank the engine, could it be better to use deep cycles only?
    I ran my boat almost entirely on the deep cycle for the last several years. The other (starting) battery was basically a backup, charged by my solar trickle charger. Also both batteries lasted 7 seasons in my boat with this system, and both still have some life, although I will probably replace both this season on principle.

I can't say anything about the science here, but it's one anecdotal data point...

Thanks for the reply, I've read a lot on the subject but never anything on whether the equalizing cylces the starting battery more than it's made for. I guess I'm going to go with the conventional deep cycle/starting combo as most do. Besides, with this boat I don't think I'll be hanging out at the beach nearly as much as we used too!