Thread: Rudder....

Default Rudder....

Trying to see if my rudder has orings or packing. Pulled the cotter pin, and unkooked the cable from the tiller arm. I can not get the arm off. I can not get the rudder to move down at all, everything I have read says to have a block under it because it will fall, but I have hit it with a mallet and hammer and it wont budge. Do you have to knock the bolt out of the tiller arm?

I pulled the nuts off and let the rudder mounting plate drop down, cleaned all the old sealant out with what little room was there. I then squirted copious amounts of 4200 and reinstalled it.

I am chasing a leak that developed end of last season. Drive shaft packing good. I have resealed the thru hull exhaust (no idea how long ago it was done) and under the rub rail (looked suspect, several places with sealant missing). Trying to get it ready for the season.
    Last edited by James Evans; 04-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Hi,

Not sure which model rudder you have but on mine I need to bull the bolt out of the rudder-tiller-arm. The bolt goes partly through the rudder shaft.
    On mine there are no o-ring but a sleeve inside the entire length of the rudder port. It also does not fall down on its own but a gentle pull is all it takes.

Mike

After much searching i have found out you arr correct mike. The bolt has to be knicked over a bit. I beleive mine has a wax rope in it. It has double nuts on it like the prop shaft. I havent had the chance to make any headway on it yet.