Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gel coat repair (is it as scary as it sounds?)

02 Supra Launch

Got my boat back from dealer last week who pointed out a nice 13 inch gel coat wear spot from the previous owner beaching the boat. I've done a lot of research but unsure if I'm on the right path. Pictures attached of the wear spot. Materials I've picked up already are as follows: bondo body filler, fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth. Thanks in advance.

Zk

'92 Comp ts6m - 5.8 PCM Pro Boss Carb
    '02 Launch SS - 5.7 Indmar Assualt TBI

Looks like you need a thin layer of resin and a bit of gelcoat.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by leetudor View Post
    Looks like you need a thin layer of resin and a bit of gelcoat.
    So to my understanding I "soak" the appropriate size fiberglass cloth in resin, stick it in place, resin a thin layer on top - allow to dry and then finalize with gel coat?

Zk

By the picture, the cloth does not look damaged just scraped resin and missing gelcoat.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Quote Originally Posted by leetudor View Post
    By the picture, the cloth does not look damaged just scraped resin and missing gelcoat.

Okay I think I understand now. I had purchased actual fiberglass cloth and that's what I was referring to when I said soak the cloth. I was under the impression I had to add a layer or cloth to properly repair. You're saying the existing fiberglass looks good to go, the resin on top or lack of has been scraped off showing that original fiberglass. So I am thinking just fill it in with resin, followed by gelcoat?

Zk

Zk

Correct, sand it the best you can the apply a thin coat of resin then apply gelcoat. Easiest way would be to use a repair kit.

http://www.iboats.com/Supra-Moomba-1...view_id.830360
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

That's a fair of build up , and it can delaminate if water. Gets under the skin , you need to defiantly sand it all out with a DA sander and do prob 8 lay ups of glass and poly , smoother transitions the better , also roll the bubbles or air out of the lay ups . And build it up ! And sand it smooth ! Use good respirator ! Don't cheap out on the lungs or eyes !

The gel coat is the last , and should only need 3mil - 6mil thickness. Or just find similar color in base coat clear coat auto and spray it .

Gather some knowledge on how to fiberglass . Cause you will need to build the repair area up with Glass and poly to get its structural form back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Thank you gentleman! Started on it yesterday. Much appreciated.

Zk

Yeah, read up on fiberglassing and practice on some scraps of lumber if this is a first time for you. Nothing worse than having to grind off junky work. And, working upside down isn't ideal but that's the hand you've been dealt.

Resin becomes brittle when it gets thicker without glass. Glass suspended in the resin is where strength comes from. I'm no expert but that looks kinda thick.

Thickened resin will be easier to work with, it won't run. Lots of ways to thicken it. Everything from chopped bits of fiberglass cloth to sawdust, cabosil, I think I even remember reading about people using flour. Chopped glass will give the stronger result of those listed.

You'll want to use epoxy resin for this job. No point in bothering with poly resin.

Fill in the gouge so it's fairly smooth but leave enough room for the gel coat so it's completely flush when done. Another option is white marine tex for your final coat. You've got a really nice boat though so as close to factory is probably more ideal. Good to know your options though.

Good luck
    Last edited by Salty87; 04-15-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Yeah, read up on fiberglassing and practice on some scraps of lumber if this is a first time for you. Nothing worse than having to grind off junky work. And, working upside down isn't ideal but that's the hand you've been dealt.

Resin becomes brittle when it gets thicker without glass. Glass suspended in the resin is where strength comes from. I'm no expert but that looks kinda thick.

Thickened resin will be easier to work with, it won't run. Lots of ways to thicken it. Everything from chopped bits of fiberglass cloth to sawdust, cabosil, I think I even remember reading about people using flour. Chopped glass will give the stronger result of those listed.

You'll want to use epoxy resin for this job. No point in bothering with poly resin.

Fill in the gouge so it's fairly smooth but leave enough room for the gel coat so it's completely flush when done. Another option is white marine tex for your final coat. You've got a really nice boat though so as close to factory is probably more ideal. Good to know your options though.

Good luck
    Thank you for the input. Is there an advantage of marine Tex over gel coat?

Zk