Default Leaking dripless shaft seal

Alright so my 10' 22 launch has started to leak! I've got a decent video of the leak and would appreciate some opinions/options. Local dealer quote me $615 for a replacement with labor but I'm hoping I can do it myself. They said they're going to have to pull the prop, rudder and prop shaft to get to it. I've read these dripless water-cooled seals can tend to be problematic and so if switching to some other seal is better I'm not opposed to that either.

Look up PSS shaft seal . There may be some debris in the face of that carbon ring to the shaft seal you can pull back on the rubber part to see if there's any debris's that are causing the leak , PSS shaft seal is pretty much the same thing but uses a preload on the rubber boot to allow friction to make the seal but they have some very informative information on their website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Not sure which seal that is, but I've had good luck with clearing up little leaks like that on mine (one PSS and one something else about like it) by making small adjustments to the rotor (the part attached to the shaft). Sometimes more preload of the bellows (think of it more as a spring). is not exactly better. They all have a "happy spot" that they like to ride. Like lively said, check for debris or damage to the surfaces. Has your alignment been check lately?
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

If you can't tweak something to stop the leak, $650 may not be unreasonable to replace it.
    Skidim has instructions (http://skidim.blogspot.com/). The coupling has to come off and once everything is back together you should probably check the alignment. Sounds like a couple hours if you know what you are doing.
    I bought an OJ seal and then got nervous about bending the coupling while removing it from the shaft. In the end, I just replaced the packing with Goretex and it's been good. At some point I should try to sell the OJ seal in my basement.
    Last edited by scottschmitt; 04-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.

You have the OJ XPC Shaft Seal.

http://www.ojprops.com/products
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

$400+ to replace a shaft seal sounds pretty steep. If I was doing it I'd probably charge half that, but I don't have any business or payroll taxes... Granted it looks like a V-drive so more of a PITA to access. Either way, this is easy enough to can do it yourself with basic hand tools and align the engine while you're at it. If you can afford some down time and want to try to save a few bucks disassemble and check for obvious issues like crap in the seal assembly or damaged parts. Nto sure how the OJ systems seals but it may be repairable for less than the $200 for a new OJ setup.

Look at the PSS seal, I think it may be a little more robust. There is also Lasdrop seals which I believe are superior to both OJ and PSS but cost more.

You have to determine where it is leaking from. Make sure your alignment is not off. These will leak if your alignment is off. Pull the blue plastic cover back , it really just covers up the seal. Yours looks like it may be leaking at the red rubber coupler. It also looks like your alignment may be off. The seal is inside the white plastic holder. Make sure the cooling water is cool water and not exhaust hot water as this will cause leakage between the seal and tge white holder. The rudder does not have to be removed, but the coupler does have to be removed off the driveshaft. The alignment has to be perfect. You will have to take the prop off to slide the shaft out far enough
    Last edited by docdrs; 04-24-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug