Default 87 SunSport V-Drive Conversion

about a year and a half ago i bought a 87 sunsport in rough condition. The stringers needed to be replaced and the guy i bought it from did all the demo work for me before i bought it. Now that I have a little free time i'm going to hit this project pretty hard. I'm planning on converting the tank to a v-drive and replacing the stringer of course. This will be my first boat rebuild. any tips?? i'll post pictures as the project progresses. 511877EE-2662-429C-9F88-C5AFC3CE9801.jpg

Only tip I can give you is to sell the boat and go and buy a Vdrive boat . For all the time and expense you will have in the 87 you will have more than enough money to buy a ready to go Vdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Only tip I can give you is to sell the boat and go and buy a Vdrive boat . For all the time and expense you will have in the 87 you will have more than enough money to buy a ready to go Vdrive.
    I'll second that! Sure isn't worth the work and the added maintenance/ issues you'll have to workout along the way. If you're looking for a project look for a V-drive with issues for a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's your time and money, if you have enough of them both...then go for it. Figuring out the geometry/angles for the mounts to have everything line up with the prop shaft would be pretty challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    It's your time and money, if you have enough of them both...then go for it. Figuring out the geometry/angles for the mounts to have everything line up with the prop shaft would be pretty challenging.
    I don't think so. Start from the bottom. Mount the strut, insert the shaft and coupler, align the v-drive to that and fabricate stringers/mounts around that position. Then align the engine to the transmission in the same way. I don't think it would be that tough, but I do agree that after the expense (and difficulty) of sourcing the parts and putting the work in..... you would be better off buying a v-drive.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.