Thread: Prop Question

Default Prop Question

My prop is stamped 1418 LS-X2. I assume it's the 4 blade stainless "upgrade" prop offered in 03. My questions are is this an OJ prop? Is the pitch high for surfing? I assume it's high pitch because the boat will run almost 50. Any info would be appreciated as I can't seem to get a perfect match while researching for the way it's stamped.
    03 Launch 22V
    3) 800lb sacks, Perfect Pass
    Fusion head, JL amps, Wet Sounds Interior/Tower Speakers, 10" Sub
    "Anyone have a stainless steel magnet?"

back in those days, Cutter was a popular stainless used among many brands. Hard to make any prop changes without knowing the pitch and dia at least.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Here's the reply I got from OJ, That is a copy of our 14 X 18 4-blade that was made in China years ago. So the pitch is 18", I guess I should start looking into a prop with less pitch if we're surfing.

I'd see if a prop shop can repitch it. I know it's easy for Nibral/brass props but not sure on stainless. Have you tried surfing? What kind of RPMs are you running?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

We surfed one weekend and man I'm hooked. Total first timers, figuring out the PP, suck gate, ballast, trim and speed. I have no idea how many RPMs haha, I do know 12.2 MPH was working well. I'll be paying attention next time out and I'm also going to do the full load WOT RPM check.

Depending on the v-drive ration (not the trans) id likely suggest an entirely different prop, not just a reduction in pitch.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Went out to get the RPM/MPH numbers last weekend and ran into a couple of problems. It was too choppy to do any good speed runs and the smartphone speedo app said the speedo and PP were reading 6 MPH fast. I didn't trust the app since speedo indicated 12 MPH is perfect for surfing and 23.5 looks perfect for wakeboarding. I have two speedo calibration knobs, one works fine on the speedo and the other doesn't seem to do anything. Is it safe to assume the second knob is not connected and was put there in case the boat was outfitted with two speedos instead of a speedo and PP? I'll have to pull the seat to get a look at if the knob is connected. So deciding on which prop to go to is on hold for now.

You are correct. The knobs are for 2 speedos. Your PP does have calibration that you can do to match the smartphone app. http://perfectpass.com/?q=manuals
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks for the link, I had studied up and was ready to adjust both but I didn't trust what the app was reading. Now I need something to check the app so I can check the speedo/PP! I'll probably want to check whatever I check the app with too haha.