Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Where to start?! New to me 2002 Supra Launch boat owner needs help!

Bought my first boat ever and I'm finding there is not as much info in one place for boats as there are for dirt bikes (i.e. - thumpertalk) and cars (nasioc and bimmerforums.com).

Edit: I found this manual which will be very useful... any other comments below will be much appreciated!

http://www.indmar.com/Libraries/Manu...nual.sflb.ashx

First off I bought a 2002 Supra Launch. It is not in the best of shape but was around $10k less than other similar boats and so I figured with a little elbow grease and some parts I could more than bridge that gap. The fluids look fine and I'll replace them anyhow. Plugs don't indicate any problems but the spark plug wires are a bit rusted and need replacing. There are some "air" hoses that are not connected anymore and so those will need replacing. Some other hoses look like they are worn and I'll post pics to help identify them. Lastly, the trailer has one wheel lug stud missing and all the bolts holding the carpeted wood are rusted and the washers are loose. Hoping it will be good for another year so I can fix it all next winter (with exception of the wheel lug stud).

Here is a preliminary list of parts I'd like to get but I'm not 100% sure about part numbers, etc. Could anyone help me out with that? I've already ordered the Clymer manual for the Indmar engines and I'll get that next week. Also, if there are any other items I should have on this list it would be much appreciated. I'll upload some pictures tonight at home and I have a few more questions about some of the things that don't look quite right to me.

1. impeller kit - Johnson
    2. impeller puller tool (I love making excuses to buy new tools)
    3. fuel filter
    4. spark plugs
    5. spark plug wires
    6. oil - 15w40
    7. oil filter
    8. transmission oil
    9. pcv valve
    10. hose for exhausting engine bay area to back of boat.

I tested the batteries last night and they are fine reading 12.5 and 12.6 volts after sitting for 6 months. I already bought a Marinco 2 battery charger and they are being charged as we speak.

Cheers!
    Daniel
    Last edited by Eurobound; 05-04-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added link to useful manual

The boat was "winterized" but still had a lot of water in it. Last night I started off by vacuuming all the remaining water from the bottom of the boat. I also removed all the remaining water from the ballast sac up front. There is a lot of goey grime I'll have to eventually clean up but for now I'm thinking of getting the boat ready to run and then clean it up as I go. I am hoping that mess of wires will hold up until the winter when I can redo all the wiring properly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I am going to get a Johnson impeller kit. If this is a raw water open cooling system then the lines should be empty correct?

I am a bit worried about the hose that is rubbed up against the side of some sort of canister. I haven't had time investigate which filters and components are what but any insight on this would be helpful otherwise I'll figure it out when I get the manual early next week.

Does anyone know how red transmission type looking fluid would end up around that bolt on top of the throttle body? How clean does the spark arrest /air filter have to be? I see light all around. If I just use brake clean to clean it up a bit more will I be okay?

Messy, dirty wiring. Needs some cleaning. Spark plugs and wires will be changed up. Hopefully everything else will hold up.

All the air hoses from the engine bay to the back of the boat and from the hull to the front of the boat need to be replaced. Any suggestions on which hose to use? Is there something better than the black crap that came with the boat that's not too expensive?

Random pics from the back of the boat.

More random pics

Transmission, prop and fins