Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1989 TS6M (sat for 5 years)

First off, thank you to the community for the awesome posts, advice and guidance. Last Sept I inherited my Grandfather's 1989 TS6M. It sat covered in his garage for atleast 5 years and has about 380 hours on it. I prepped the trailer bought new tires and drove out to California (Marine Corps not a hippie)

Started tinkering with it early this spring.

Changed the oil and filter (mobile 1)
    New plugs
    New fuel filter
    New blue top optima battery
    Cleaned up the carb
    Drained the fuel

She runs like a dream starts right up every time. Put her in the water on Sunday and she ran great thermostat stayed at 160 degrees the whole time.

Questions:

Do these normally burn oil? Not a crazy amount but could definitely smell it maybe 1/4 of a quart. And is anyone else running full synthetic?

How fast are you burning through fuel? We were on the water for maybe 2 hours and went through approximately 15 gallons of premium. I wasn't hammering on the throttle and kept it at about 25-35 mph.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could do almost a full day of towing skiers and wake boarders and occasionally a tube pull here or there on a full tank of gas, so something is up with your fuel consumption I think. My engine has more hours on it than yours and I do not consume any oil, at least I did not at all last year. I do not run full synthetic in my boat engine though so that might have something to do with it. I know that Mr. Hunter who has two Comps and a Sunsport all with the 351W engine in them runs synthetic so he should be able to chime in on that one.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Mobile 1 15w50 is the only weight recommended for marine use. Going through that much fuel and haveing a burning smell sounds like you may have a power valve problem. After sitting for years its probably due for a carb overhaul anyway.

I have the same year and model. Unfortunately we rebuild the carb about every 4-5 years. We don't burn nearly that amount of fuel in a day.

Thanks gents, next question how big is the fuel tank on the 1989's I've read anywhere from 21-25 gallons based on year.

I would say 20 gallons. It is very difficult to fill it all the way full without spilling gas out everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BWW View Post
    I would say 20 gallons. It is very difficult to fill it all the way full without spilling gas out everywhere.

Thanks for the heads up lol

Also check your cap and points. You may want to just replace the distributor cap, rotor, points, and wires while you are tuning it up. It's probably been a while.

I'm wondering if the engine had ever used synthetic before. I have no intention of starting an oil-discussion thread, but I have heard more than once it's not great to switch between conventional and synthetic especially well into the life of the engine. But I suspect any consumption you might be seeing is more a result of the engine sitting for 5 years - maybe the rings are a little stuck... I wouldn't do anything drastic, just run it a bit more and keep a close eye on the oil level. Keep close track of how much you're adding per engine hour on the meter.

And enjoy the boat! I have two 89's in the family, but one does have a much newer engine in it. Not because the old one died, though - they'll run a very long time if well maintained.

Default 1989 TS6M (sat for 5 years)

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    I'm wondering if the engine had ever used synthetic before. I have no intention of starting an oil-discussion thread, but I have heard more than once it's not great to switch between conventional and synthetic especially well into the life of the engine. But I suspect any consumption you might be seeing is more a result of the engine sitting for 5 years - maybe the rings are a little stuck... I wouldn't do anything drastic, just run it a bit more and keep a close eye on the oil level. Keep close track of how much you're adding per engine hour on the meter.

And enjoy the boat! I have two 89's in the family, but one does have a much newer engine in it. Not because the old one died, though - they'll run a very long time if well maintained.
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It ran perfect in the test hit (Sunday). I'm doing the belts and PCV valve this weekend then heading to Havasu in June. I have a buddy taking a boat out worst case scenario he tows us back lol. I'll have a few extra quarts of oil and a 5 gallon gas can just in case.

It's been a lot of fun to work on and mess with, normally I fix Guns so this is different for me.