Default Supra saltare - sluggish start and starter fail

Help-! My Supra has always had a sluggish start, to too uncommon for a carb I suppose. Yesterday we were out in the water and the big girl wouldn't turn over. I resorted to pouring a little gasoline into the carb which worked great at first but then wouldn't anymore. I kept trying to turn her over til the starter failed. So two questions.

1) starter for a PCM 454?

2) do I have a fuel pump issue or something? New fuel pump?

What do you mean by turn over ? Are you talking about the starter turning the engine or the engine running on its own?

Sounds to me like you're ready for a carb rebuild. If it's a Holley like mine, its about as easy as it gets. Kit is ~$30 at about any auto parts store and comes with great instructions (you'll have lots of spare parts as the kit cover many Holley models). People think I'm insane for doing mine every season, but it's cheap and easy insurance! Pay special attention to the accelerator pump adjustment.

As for a starter, I have this on my boat now: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put ~100 hours and hundreds of starts on it last season. I installed it after a similar unit failed. The similar unit turned out to have nylon gears in the gear reduction, while this one has brass. I had to take it apart to verify both, but the brass gears have lasted much better for me. The gear reduction starter is more like a modern car and starts the engine much more quickly and smoothly! There is a thread on here about this somewhere. One of the best upgrades I have made to my boat!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Agreed with Korey,
    Go for an easy rebuild of the carb and a reduction ratio Starter. I have same on mine, it starts like a brand new motor. And no more cold start issue since I rebuilt the carb. It starts at first crank even after 3 weeks off.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare