Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anchoring Overnight

Hey Everyone,

So heres my questions. We are heading on a house boating trip and I want to bring my 2001 supra Launch ssv. Has anyone had any luck tying to shore overnight? If so, how? Or is it better to anchor it out a ways and let it float? Just worrying about storms picking up and filling with water, or getting knocked around.

I have done it but always floating in about 3 feet of water . One anchor out in the water and one line tied to a tree on shore.

I do a lot of both boat-in camping, and house boating out of my Saltare.

The shore varies from soft sand to rocky on Laurel Lake and Cumberland here in KY, so I always leave it floating in a foot or so of water at the bow, tied to a tree on shore and anchor the stern to keep it off shore and the lines tight. If I'm in an area likely to be busy in the morning, I'll anchor it bow-out so the pointy end gets any wakes. I set it out a little deeper if I go this route to keep the shiny parts underneath further from the rocks. The bow-out method makes it a little easier to wade to the boat and clean off muddy feet on the swim platform. I usually cover it overnight too.

When house boating, we usually just use the houseboat as a dock and tie up to it.. a ~50-75 houseboat leaves plenty deep water to maneuver an inboard boat near the stern. Best practice is usually houseboat bow into the shore (pretty hard aground), lines from the mid cleats 45 degrees out to something sturdy, as low to the ground as possible (banks can be steep around here), then 2 lines from the bow corner cleats out to the same shore anchor points (so a much lower angle). The bow lines are more to keep the houseboat bow from moving side to side, while the mid lines are equally to keep it ashore and from swinging. If bad weather pops up sometimes I'll move the mid ropes back to the furthest rear cleats on the houseboat (ends up trapping the supra in) to be sure the houseboat stays put in the wind. I've had nightmares about the houseboat coming loose, swinging against shore in the wind and having it's way with my Supra... Bad picture and messy boat, but this shows a little:

If towing a smaller boat with the houseboat, I prefer to tow from the side. It allows you to tie up nice and firm and not worry about your skiboat rear ending the houseboat if you need to stop abruptly. This does usually require a little experience with how much lead your boat "likes". Also, some real trust in your tow line - you can imagine what an aluminum houseboat hull could do to your fiberglass beauty if the bow line breaks in this configuration...
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

I would say this is the usual way to do it. Same as above
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Thanks Guys. I See most people towing their boats right behind their houseboats. As long as you don't stop too suddenly it should be fine I suppose. I've heard stories of peoples boats sinking in the lake when big storms come up. Does anyone every leave their accessories on so their bilge float kicks in if it needs to?

The bilge pump is wired to have constant power, as long as you have your main power on (perko switch). This allows it to come on automatically when needed. I leave mine in "on" while on the water.
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Sorry, just had to include this:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=35007255

Somewhere out there is the actual video of the event...
    Last edited by CJD; 06-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klishchynsky View Post
    Thanks Guys. I See most people towing their boats right behind their houseboats. As long as you don't stop too suddenly it should be fine I suppose. I've heard stories of peoples boats sinking in the lake when big storms come up. Does anyone every leave their accessories on so their bilge float kicks in if it needs to?
    Downpours and a little wind with should not hurt anything. Make sure you have a proper anchor and chain. When mine is stuck in this southern mud, it's locked in place
    The posts above mention the correct methods to tie the boat when going onshore.
    If you are nervous, bring and extra anchor for the bow.
    I leave a little slack in the lines to let the boat move with any waves/wakes. Not enough it can turn-sideways.

If you are not sure about the bilge pump, if you have your boat in the driveway, put a garden hose in the bilge and make sure the pump/float-switch is working. Plus, you will have a clean bilge after that. My boat is wired the pump comes on with the battery switch in the on or off location.

Also, I think I read that if you have a dripless system on your drive shaft, you need to tow with the boat in gear so the prop doesn't spin and heat up the packing set up. During normal boating, water circulates into the dripless system. When towing, the waterpump isn't moving water and if the prop spins the shaft gets hot. Someone can correct if this is bunk.

You could certainly use the anchor buddy on the anchor line so you have a little stretch to let the boat move a little with waves. it's also GREAT when you anchor and have a line to the shore, because you can pull the boat into you in the morning and then it'll stretch back into the deeper water. Clip the anchor buddy to the shore line with a float and you'll be able to re-use your spot.

I like the "shore spike" because you can do it one handed when setting the shore line. It does look a little awkward like you're whacking off setting the thing, but it works great.

I have a box anchor. No chain.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.