Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 86 Supra Stock stereo wiring layout

Anyone know the stock stereo wiring lay out for the stock stereo in a 86 Supra Sunsport?

Ok so here is the deal need some help. I have speaker wires and a green an orange and a black wire. Under the dash the black goes to bottom of breaker grid orange goes to top of it and green goes to acc switch. Not sure if its stock or not but when it gets up to stock radio the green is tied up to a blue with a breaker, orange to a yellow that says 12v, and black still black. Now for the catch. Interior lights have never worked but if I connect orange and green wire......tada!!!! They work. Any advice on what's going on

anyone?....

Electrical Gremlins.....they are never fun to chase down. Lights technically can be wired to "pulse" with the beat, but in your case I'm guessing someone threw in an new head unit and then poked around to find power till they found something that made the radio work and decided sound was better than lights.

I will be troubleshooting a blower issue soon on my 86 Sunsport. I am not sure how much of a mess I have under the dash, but I do know I have two different speakers so it isn't 100% stock. I'll let you know if my wiring is a little cleaner and maybe it will help you sort out your gremlins.

It kind of sounds like the PO stole the power for the lights so that they could switch the power to the radio on and off, maybe so that they could power the radio when the key was off? If there aren't too many wires under the dash it may be easier to start over. It never hurts to have fresh wires in a 30 year old boat, imagine all of the corrosion and possibilities that a wire got pinched/grounded..... it makes me cringe
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Solved the issue. Found out the accessory switch was bad going to the stereo and the lights. Took the switch out and took it apart and cleaned the inside part of the switch and it works like new. Simple continuity test of the switch to figure out the issue. wiring is stock just was throwing me for a loop. Putting the wires together just bypassed the bad switch and the radio and gave the interior lights constant power.

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Was at a Willie Nelson concert last night so I didn't even get to look at my wiring yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

My interior lights and stereo are on the same circuit as well. I think it's factory as the wiring under my dash looks very professional and unmolested(RARE!).

If your sunsport has the same switches as my saltare (probably), Skidim sells them if you need replacements. This is the 4A version, others available if you browse their site:
    http://www.skidim.com/ETA-BREAKER-SW...0IG1P10DD4AMP/
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Have the pull type switches. Pulled the accessory switch out since I thought it was bad. Took it apart (figured if it was bad what do I have to loose seeing how it works)
    Rubbed some sandpaper on the inside contact points on the switch and tested it for continuity and BOOM!!! Working like a new one!!! Korey I do believe my wiring is all stock as well. And small world but i believe I meet you a few years back to look at a old inboard you had for sale.

Thread jack...
    You must be the guy that drove down from somewhere in IN with the wife to look at the Correct Craft?!
    DSC_0501.jpg

We met at Williamstown Lake in Northern KY on Derby Day and the boat ran like garbage on me. I remember that day!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz