Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery issues?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.j.grossheim View Post
    I added starter fluid cause it was the first time out for the season, and just felt that the battery almost died so sprayed a bit in just to ensure it would start easy, it probably didn't need it.

Will try that next time to see if it helps, it turns over but then if it doesn't start right away the starter seems to slow down.

What do you mean about neutral switch? Are you thinking that if it's pushed it, it may not be mechanically pushed in?

I appreciate all of the help from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still sounds like a battery issue to me. I never really trust the part store testers...

Test it with a knoen good battery, like from your tow vehicle.

You should be able to crank in 10 second bursts for at least a minute if the battery is good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Battery was testing good and the store I bought it from as well. They were still willing to replace it, got a new one in the boat and will test it out this weekend with temperatures expected to be in the 90's

Been doing some other research, when we couldn't get it started it would not even turn over. This is typically cause by a bad starter solenoid possibly. I have not found too much advice about how to fix the problem or diagnose it? Another option it could be would be loose wiring to the neutral switch like was earlier mentioned.

So, had it happen one more time on the wedding day. Thankfully it was after the ceremony getting the boat back to the trailer. Hooked the boat up to the charger and put the charger in start mode and the boat started right up. I need to check the voltage off my alternator next time I go out, but I think it's good. Battery is at 12.72 volts cold, need to check it while running in a few locations like I previously mentioned to rule out the alternator. However to make sure I don't sit empty on the water I'm installing a second battery and switch. The goodies are starting to come in, any advice from someone that's tackled this project before?

One thing on a dual battery setup is that it's nice to have one battery be a deep cycle. That's the one you can switch to when you're floating, playing music, running the battery down. Starting batteries don't love being run down like that; the deep cycle is much more resilient to partial discharge cycles.

Thanks for the advice squamInboards. I have a deep cycle on it right now, I plan to switch the new one for the starter and put the deep cycle on the stereo and accessories. Any other ideas before I start?

Someone mentioned contacts and cables. That's the first place to start. Clean the contacts on both ends of all the cables and terminals including the ground to the engine block. While there check the cables for corrosion under the plastic coating...if you hear crackling when you bend the cable tightly there's corrosion reducing the cable's ability to pass current (i'm no electrical engineer, that might not be the correct terminology).

Another great idea, I ordered extra 2/0 cable for that reason. The boat is getting all new marine grade battery cables in addition to the second battery. I got some of the connectors in, but still waiting on the bigger pack that I ordered separate from the cables. You are correct about the current being reduced with corrosion. It also looks like only half of my cable is crimped on the boat currently, which would also restrict the current. Ordered the correct sized ones for 2/0 cable, looks like the original owner had them replaced with ones that were not large enough to crimp the whole cable. You can see on the negative cable in the first picture. Great advice on this forum, I love all the knowledge in these boats and the willingness to share here. Thank you everyone!

So, got some more time with it out this last weekend. I replaced the battery terminals two weekends ago and boy does it start up quick. I had the no starting issue a few times, all with a multimeter on board. Checked voltage on solenoid it was above 7 and the battery was 12.7 cold. It would not turn over on the trailer at all, turned the throttle down once and brought it back to neutral and tried again and it fired right up. Battery was at 13.9 once it was running. This leads me to believe it's a neutral switch going. Anybody have to replace one of these before?

Great! Never had to replace a switch, but did have to adjust it once or twice on other brand boats.

Also, if you turn over the engine "dry" on the trailer, you run the risk of stripping the rubber water pump impeller. Never turn over dry.