Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 05 21v overheating

Winterized boat myself last fall. First day in water this past weekend I noticed water temp was high while idling through a channel. Then the boat would not accelerate and smoked from exhaust. Shut it down and limped home.

Question is dealer or fix myself. I checked impeller, looked fine. What next? Thermostat maybe? Would like to trouble shoot and fix without having to take it in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is water circulating through the engine and coming out the exhaust?
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

I ran out of time to trouble shoot on water and now am on the trailer. What would be best way to verify water is cycling through?

My guess is that your Sherwood pump is installed backwards... I did that one spring and it would run for about 2 minutes before overheating. Once it kept hiking I shut it down right away with mine, new right away what I screwed up. Flipped it around and worked correctly. It won't suck water if it is installed backwards.

My '05 has a Johnson impeller pump. What's a Sherwood pump?

When you checked the impeller, did you remove it and make sure all the vanes are intact. If the engine is turned over dry it can rip the vanes off. They then block passages in the engine.

Were you taking on water. If so, you may have missed re-installing one of the intake hoses to the pump.

After that i would assume a stuck thermostat.

Yes impeller looked good. I am not sure what a Sherwood pump is. I don't think you can put the impeller in wrong way. It looks the same to me either way. I think I will replace thermostat as a next step. That is unless anybody else has a suggestion

Run it on a water hose and see if water comes out the exhaust.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Ok. Sorry from dumb question but where would you put water hose?

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    Ok. Sorry from dumb question but where would you put water hose?

They have an attachment that lets you stick the hose to the water pick up, available at most boat stores, like Skidim or West Marine. I think "Fake a Lake" is one brand.

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    Yes impeller looked good. I am not sure what a Sherwood pump is. I don't think you can put the impeller in wrong way. It looks the same to me either way. I think I will replace thermostat as a next step. That is unless anybody else has a suggestion

Not the impeller itself, but the entire pump can be put on upside down so that the inflow hose is now hooked up to the outflow. Only an issue if you actually took off the entire pump, not just opened it up to take out the impeller.
    1996 Supra La Brisa