Default Trailer Bearing Q

I've got a 2006 21v with a boatmate trailer and was curious to maintenance. I read a post from August but still have a question or two.

I've got the clear bearing caps and one of them looks completely empty. I can see the hex nut on the spindle.

Is that nut the empty and fill port?

Do you rotate the wheel to empty do you just pull the caps off and let the oil drain out to empty? (catching it in an environmentally safe fashion of course)

What kind of oil do you use?

If I do find that the existing oil is watery do I have to replace the bearings and start fresh or can I just replace the oil?

Thanks in advance for any help !

If you have clear bearing caps, that means that you have the Reliable brake system and that can be confirmed by the writing on the caps or a big "R" inside an oval stamped onto the brake actuator housing. The bearing cap is filled halfway with SAE 50 weight motor oil. The drain and fill port is the small allenhead screw on the hub that you mentioned and you're also correct about the drain and fill process.

Default Thx

Thanks Jerry - Greatly appreciate the response

On one of the hex nuts it was so tight it ended up stripping out the head. Is it okay if I just pulled the bearing and hand packed it with grease instead of using oil?

Yes, you COULD.....but I'd recommend fixing it properly. Just get an ease out or something to remove the stripped plug. It will be easier to service in the long run and oil is a better lubricant than grease.

Be very careful using grease with this type of bearing. The 'oil bath' style bearing relies on circulating oil to remain properly lubricated and cool. There is no spring or coil in these that would force grease into the bearing as water and wear break it down. Most likely what may happen is the grease closer to the bearing would heat up and become very liquid while the grease near the outside of the hub (clear port) will remain thick and not let you monitor the condition of the pack. Good luck!

I agree. Another good point that I had not thought of.