Default 2002 sunsport v - dual speedometers

Dual speedo question; should both speedometers be working at the same time? Or is it setup to switch from one to the other? One of my speedo's does not work, and I haven't had time yet to troubleshoot. If anyone knows about this setup any insight would be appreciated!?

Hi,

Both should work at the same time. There are two for 1) Redundancy for competitions etc 2) Possibly only one working while turning the boat.

With that said, neither of mine work (reliably) on my 2001 Launch SSV.
    Though I have the boat mooring in the ocean with lots of things growing on the wheel causing it to spin very irregular.
    GPS-speedo is probably the way to go? Or just go by the RPM, that is, in my experience, much more reliable.
    I have a knob where you can tune the two speedos so they are in sync and showing the correct value.

If one of them is not working you have either 1) a bad speedo or 2) a bad pickup wheel.
    I think you can test the wheel by spinning it slowly and measure the ohm of the signal wire at the same time. Should fluctuate for each revolution.

You could also just switch the wires between the two speedos and see if the other one works. That should give you some more insight.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'll post what I come up with in a few weeks when I have time to give it a good look. Both of my speedos are run off a single paddlewheel. I like the gps option to maybe replace the one that has failed - and I like the faria gps speedo. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by roosm View Post
    Hi,

Both should work at the same time. There are two for 1) Redundancy for competitions etc 2) Possibly only one working while turning the boat.

With that said, neither of mine work (reliably) on my 2001 Launch SSV.
    Though I have the boat mooring in the ocean with lots of things growing on the wheel causing it to spin very irregular.
    GPS-speedo is probably the way to go? Or just go by the RPM, that is, in my experience, much more reliable.
    I have a knob where you can tune the two speedos so they are in sync and showing the correct value.

If one of them is not working you have either 1) a bad speedo or 2) a bad pickup wheel.
    I think you can test the wheel by spinning it slowly and measure the ohm of the signal wire at the same time. Should fluctuate for each revolution.

You could also just switch the wires between the two speedos and see if the other one works. That should give you some more insight.

Good luck!