Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you have mufflers or the "Super Trapps" on the transom of your boat? Are you taking temperature readings all around the engine as well or just going off what the gauge is telling you at the helm?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The traps/baffles. Just at the helm.

I would go ahead and get one of those small infrared thermometers from Harbor Freight and start taking measurements from various places on the engine and at various throttle settings and see what you get.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I would go ahead and get one of those small infrared thermometers from Harbor Freight and start taking measurements from various places on the engine and at various throttle settings and see what you get.
    I presume to be seeing multiple temps depending on placement, ya? Pulled the thermostat out. 20 degrees cooler overall. Still getting to plus 200.

Where are the drain plugs on the block? Thought i knew, not sure what I'm looking at.

Betting on the circulation pump. Raw water tested today. H2O a plenty coming in. Thirty year old boat, that mechanism has never been off since ive had it.

There is one on each side of the motor midway back right above the oil pan.

If you've confirmed good water flow from the raw water pump through the engine and no obstructions or accumulation in the block, manifolds, or thermostat housing... I'd be pulling the circulating pump (regular water pump) on the engine. Could be a bad impeller in it, maybe an automotive replacement and the impeller rusted away.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    If you've confirmed good water flow from the raw water pump through the engine and no obstructions or accumulation in the block, manifolds, or thermostat housing... I'd be pulling the circulating pump (regular water pump) on the engine. Could be a bad impeller in it, maybe an automotive replacement and the impeller rusted away.
    Thanks sincerely for all the help. I pulled the raw water pump again and found an obstruction. I'll explain once I figure it out. Recall I previously pulled all the water lines and found them to be clear subsequent to replacing the impeller. Haven't put the pump back on yet. I'll report back. Hope this fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by middlegriff1 View Post
    There is one on each side of the motor midway back right above the oil pan.
    Thanks. Also, staring at the block I see that the firing order is in the casting on top of the motor. Almost 20 years I've been fooling with this thing and never noticed that.

Happy 4th, everyone. Safe boating!