Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1987 Saltare' running hot

Hey Gentlemen,

My salt is running about 180-200 at higher rpms, 3000+, Stays 160 or below at 1200. Fresh impeller, checked all the hoses and the thermostat housing for obstuctions. Will have to order a new thermostat as none local. PCM, 454. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

Jack @ Cumberland

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head to check for is a smooth impeller housing, and a stiff intake hose (it could be collapsing under higher speeds)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Indeed the impeller housing can be worn with grooves in it. Also check the wear on the front plate. I believe these are reversible but new plates are also available for cheap.

Do you have a sea strainer? If not the transmission cooler may have some blockage.

Check the belt, too. Could be slipping.

Cool Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Do you have a sea strainer? If not the transmission cooler may have some blockage.

Check the belt, too. Could be slipping.
    The housing is smooth. I'll check the strainer again and I'm gonna replace the belts if only because I can't remember when I last did so. They look fine, but there is some dust. Had one snap years ago. Quite a noise.

The lake is up, and full of debris of all kinds. Thanks again for comments.

Once you confirm that you have good water flow and that the thermostat is opening, the only other thing it could be is that your raw water pump is due for a rebuild. I chased this problem around on my 1987 for about a year before I rebuilt the water pump. Fixed the problem immediately. I never knew that they had an expected service life.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default Wotan has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Once you confirm that you have good water flow and that the thermostat is opening, the only other thing it could be is that your raw water pump is due for a rebuild. I chased this problem around on my 1987 for about a year before I rebuilt the water pump. Fixed the problem immediately. I never knew that they had an expected service life.
    There was some crap in the transmission cooler. Not a lot, but some. I had checked it when I put the new impeller in, so I didn't think to look again. Lake test on the 23rd, we'll see.

Default Nada

Quote Originally Posted by skiman_61 View Post
    There was some crap in the transmission cooler. Not a lot, but some. I had checked it when I put the new impeller in, so I didn't think to look again. Lake test on the 23rd, we'll see.
    Still getting hot at higher RPM. Haven't replaced the thermostat, but I don't think that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skiman_61 View Post
    Still getting hot at higher RPM. Haven't replaced the thermostat, but I don't think that's the issue.
    How hot are you talking now and where are you measuring again?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    How hot are you talking now and where are you measuring again?
    Gets up to in excess of 200 on the temp gauge. Cools off back to 160 when I slow down.

Vince at SkiDM called me back yesterday. Described methods to tests the pumps I wouldn't have thought of. Also advised I check the exhaust as the baffles catch debris and could be the issue.