Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 351w Starter

Default 351w Starter

Curious what starter you guys are running in your Supra's with the 351w.. Mine crapped out - probably due to old age and also getting a bit wet the last season or two (I had a leaky shaft seal and crappy bilge pump, both fixed now).

It turns out the PO had put on an automotive starter, which scared me even more because I recently found all the bilge vent hosing deteriorated and had to replace it and put in two new blower motors. Dodged a flaming bullet there.

I did some searching and it seemed the best reviewed starters were Arco brand. I ordered an Arco 70201, but it set me back about $150 bucks. Curious if anyone has a favorite one they've had success with, that might be cheaper.
    1996 Supra La Brisa

I haven't put it to the test yet but I just bought a high performance Arco starter for $137 on Amazon.
    starter.JPG
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Default 351w Starter

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    I haven't put it to the test yet but I just bought a high performance Arco starter for $137 on Amazon.
    starter.JPG
    I checked my order details and it was a 70200 not the 70201 you mentioned. The 70201 was $165 on Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    I checked my order details and it was a 70200 not the 70201 you mentioned. The 70201 was $165 on Amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah that's the RH (clockwise rotation) version. Hope that's what you need. 70201 is the standard (LH/CCW) version, hope that's what I need, too, because I want to be on the water this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    1996 Supra La Brisa

I hope I don't regret buying a starter based on the old starter in the boat..... The old starter started the boat and it spun it the right way but didn't always want to engage so I bought a new one based on the chamfers on the starter gear (there is information on the Arco site about how to identify which rotation is needed). I guess I need to throw the battery in and test it, I would be pretty upset if the PO put a new (but incorrect) gear on the starter...

The other possibility is that due to the different year and model of our boats the starters are mounted differently, but the engine spins the same way. If the gear is facing forwards on the driver side vs backwards you would need an opposite rotation.

Best of luck!

Well now I'm second guessing my choice.. I am positive my engine is LH rotation based on the engine serial number... but now looking again at that arco diagram, for LH engine you need CW starter in my orientation (facing the stern, on the starboard side). I think I may have been confusing CCW engine rotation with starter rotation, so I may have the wrong one. Crap.
    EDIT: Yep, I had the old starter in my truck. Just went out to look at the chamfers, and they indicate it's CW rotation. damn, now to see if I can return this one and get the correct one by the weekend.
    Last edited by PBWolf; 06-14-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    1996 Supra La Brisa

Someone posted this picture a while back. Not sure who. Might be helpful though.starter rotation.jpg

I can't tell by the picture if this is what you purchased, but I recently bought a Primary magnet starter (Pmgr). Takes the load off the battery. Cranks strong and the boat comes to life after a couple of seconds. They are found on 2000 model Ford trucks. I have purchased both " marine" and regular in this model. I can't see the difference except for the 150.00 markups. Much lighter also. I have the truck starter as a backup. The couple times I did need it, I couldn't tell the difference. As far as turning direction, it was standard. Hope it helps.
    I work in aviation, so I see the markup on parts with labels for marine use and aircraft use. Some I can see the markup, others are the same as automotive with 1000% increase.

to be sure call skidim, they have helped me, very knowledgeable

I used this one: http://www.skidim.com/STARTER-KIT-LH...info/ARC70200/, which has been brilliant since I replaced it. It's a little pricy compared to other starters you'll find on ebay. So far, it's been solid.

Also, don't be tempted to use an automotive starter. Marine starters are designed with spark protection. On the 351 engine, the starter sits pretty low in the bilge. Not worth the risk of gas vapors down there.