Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Coose what did you end up paying for the project salt?

Quote Originally Posted by bens250ex View Post
    Coose what did you end up paying for the project salt?
    I paid $1700 for the boat and newer 2003 boatmate trailer and paid the PO $200 to deliver the hull to me. Along with the 20 gallons of vinyl Ester it also came with 25yd of 1708, a couple gal of cabosil, and some misc rollers & scissors. The extras were all brand new still in the packaging from US composites...over $1300 worth of stuff.

The guy I picked it up from was also a member here and was great to work with. Even though he had already split the cap everything was individually labeled and essentially cataloged in various plastic bins. Nearly every screw, bolt, etc is accounted for.

Hey Zroe - how's it comeing along?

Hey Cooose, thanks for checking in. I have been busy getting some things crossed off the honey do lists before both of our parents come to visit and haven't made much progress. I found a stringer that has a small crack in it which makes me nervous. I couldn't believe how much more water was in the starboard side!
    Anyway the wood is still reasonably solid and the motor mounts aren't loose but two of them (one engine and one trans both on starboard side) would likely strip out if I tried to tighten them any more.
    I know it needs all new stringers I am just deliberating if I want to spend the money on this boat or upgrade to something composite.
    I love the lines of these old boats and I'm generally not too scared of the stringer job other than bedding the new stringers.... My only real hang up is I ski more than anything else and am concerned about the wake. Once I start rebuilding I am sure I won't stop until I have as much invested in this Sunsport as I would just buying a La Brisa or heaven forbid a PS 205....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Picture of the most recent discovery during foam removal. Is this the point where I can't just brace it up and put a temporary floor in it until I decide to sell or do a cap off restoration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

As far as any temp patching goes, I think you should base it on the drivetrain mounting and stability....if this is solid then you could likely get by for a couple seasons by sistering up some bracing and patching in a newer floor. Just keep in mind any money you put into temp repairs is kind of wasted since it would all have to be torn out if you ever decided to go the cap of route. I would stop digging out foam, the more you dig the more you will likely find that you don't like.

^ agreed

The current wake will only get smaller once rebuilt. The purebred slalom boats put out tiny wakes but you're also crowded with 4 people/gear and they can get dicey when the wind & waves pick up. You'd have neither of those issues with your Sunsport.