Default Hydraulic Wake Plate questions

Sorry if this has been posted before. I am new to this forum and tried to perform a search and didn't come up with anything. I am also new to a Supra and have recently purchased a 2005 Launch 21v with the Hydraulic Wake Plate. When we test drove the boat, I think I remember checking the plate and it worked fine. When I get the boat home and take it out on the lake, the gauge will not read all the way up. I remember checking the wake plate, but don't remember where the gauge stopped. Anyway, I have checked to see if the plate goes all the way up and the pistons are full compressed but the gauge reads a little over half. I checked the fluid level, and it was a little low but not that low. I was also told that some models are made to not use the full extent of the plate. Could the gauge be bad? How do I check the gauge? Any help would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

IF YOU HAVE THE BENNETT GAUGE INSTALLED (READ IN %), IT WILL ONLY READ ABOUT 50% IN THE DOWN POS. AND SHOULD READ 0% IN THE UP POS. THIS IS BECAUSE THERE ARE SHORTER THROW STANSIONS ON THE SUPRAS AND MOOMBAS, THESE ARE INSTALLED TO SKIERS CHOICE FROM BENNETT, BECAUSE AT FULL THROW , CREATES TO MUCH BOW STEER AND HINDERS DRIVEABILITY. THE MORE RECENT GAUGES HAVE HAD THE FONT CORRECTED TO READ THE PLATE PLACEMENT MORE ACCURATELY. IF THE FLUID LEVEL IS CORRECT, AND THE ABOVE IS TRUE, YOUR SYSTEM IS WORKING CORRECTLY. IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE, TAKE IT TO YOUR DEALER FOR REPAIR. THE UPDATED GAUGE HAS THE BOAT POSITIONING OF THE PLATE THROUGHOUT ITS THROW, IT CAN BE ADDED WITH A HARNESS AND GAUGE CHANGE. HOPE THIS HELPS, KEEP US POSTED. BRIAN RAYMOND (Sorry, had caps on lock)

thanks for your quick response. I will check the gauge. If it is the older gauge, can I order the new gauge and harness myself without going though my dealer? The closest dealer is a good ways away and if it is something I can do myself, I would rather do that. Thanks again!

The dealer can have it drop shipped to you. If that is not an option, contact the parts "GURU" Anthony Cooper at Skiers Choice (865)983.9924ext.118. Brian Raymond

Took my boat out again this weekend and noticed that the wakeplate will not hold it's position. When I put the plate all the way down, it slowly comes back up to 3/4 position on the gauge without touching the trim. I also noticed that the needle on the gauge bounces a little while in the down position. What do I need to check?

Possibly air in the system. Make sure the reservoir on the hydraulic pump is filled to the line (use ATF I think). Then, with the lid off the reservoir, run the plate all the way up and down several (5) times to bleed all air from the system. Top off the fluid, replace the cap and see if it's fixed. If the problem is fixed, but re-appears later, you may have a leak in one of the hydraulic lines or junctions from the pump to the plate cylinders.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown