Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Two options to choose from (Both '86 Sunsport)

I am in the market for a Sunsport. They seem to fit my "young" family's needs better. I like how they are deeper and a little bigger than other 80s/90s models. I could be wrong am new to the Supra world. I have provided two links to a couple of different boats that I am looking at. Let me know your thoughts and opinions on both. Thanks all and lets get ready for the best holiday of the year!!!!

http://boats.iboats.com/1986-supra-b...r/1833892.html

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...skier-97021108

I bought a Sunsport last year for the reasons you list. Been very happy with the size and configuration of the boat.

I'm not sure about either of the ones you listed. I don't see any info on the iboats listing. The boattrader boat looks rough and also no real info.

The big question on these boat is the stringers. I assumed they needed to be replaced if they hadn't been already, or if the boat had an exemplary, 1 owner, low hour, stored inside history.

I'd be looking for something from a private owner that can give you the history of the boat.
    1986 Sunsport Skier with Acme 543

What is your budget ? If you can swing a 93 or newer it will have composite stringers, floor and seat frames. i will cost more up front but it will be worth it in the end. A full stringer job will cost about 5k add that to the 5900.00 boats and you will never recover the cost.

The second one has been on and off the market for a while, which by itself would make me a bit nervous.

If you are buying an older one you really do need to determine the condition of the stringers and don't take anyones word that they have been done.

All the jokes about boating are true, especially, There is nothing as expensive as an cheap boat. The day you buy your boat will be the happiest day of your life. But you will deal with its particular quirks, issues, and breakdowns until the second happiest day of you life ... the day you sell it.

Choose wisely when you purchase an old boat.

The issue with the '86 Supras is that the engine is now 30 years old and the wood stringers are 30 years old. They are great boats with lovely lines and good wakes. But they are not maintenance-free. If the stringers are rotten and the engine mounts start to get soft ... you have real problems that require a 4-5k investment to have repaired.

Like Michael Hunter said, best if you can get into a 90's era Supra with a curved windshield and composite stringers and floor. One less issue to deal with.

Update on the Supra from the i.boats website. The owner of the boat works at the Marina where it is being sold. She said the back stringers and transoms were replaced about 10 years ago. It has 531 hrs on the boat. It hasn't been ran in two years but the service department recently went through it and it seems to be running fine.

She also said they had some soft spots on the other parts of the boat and they put thick metal down under the carpet to make it "solid".... so obviously, the stringers will have to get replaced eventually in the front of the boat.

They are selling the boat because they don't use it anymore, so I think I could get the price down significantly, I just don't know if the future expense is worth it. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions so far.

Cheers!!!

It's a lovely boat and the upholstery looks great.

Check the motor mounts. If they are solid, maybe you get a couple of years out of her before the stringers become an issue (who knows, maybe they could last longer ... ). If that's good for you, then you are in great shape.

Think of this this way, say you pay 5k for this boat and the stringers hold up for 2-3 years. Will you get 2k worth of pleasure from this per year? If so, then even if you don't want to restore the stringers at when the stringers give out in a couple years, you can still feel good walking away. If they last longer, then bonus for you.
    Last edited by scottschmitt; 06-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSUSKIALUM2010 View Post
    She said the back stringers and transoms were replaced about 10 years ago. It has 531 hrs on the boat. It hasn't been ran in two years but the service department recently went through it and it seems to be running fine.
    Just keep in mind you and the service department could have different definitions of "running fine"

Steering could be OK to them, but feels loose/tight to you - ~$150+
    May run fine to them but likely needs a carb rebuild. ~60 - 180 depending on DIY appetite.
    Batteries assuming they haven't been replaced and weren't on a tender for the last couple of years
    Speedos may or may not work but may or may not matter to you
    Wonder how hot the metal under the carpet gets on a nice sunny day
    Will you trailer it to and from the lake? How many of the tires on the trailer are rotted from sitting?
    Hoses, fluids, regular service items...they really do add up , hence the acronym

B ust
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand

If you go in with eyes wide open you will be ok, just know that you will be throwing money at whatever boat you buy until the day you sell it.

The Marina she works for thinks putting a piece of metal to cover soft spots is a good repair??? Run away from that one as fast as you can. There is no telling how much Hacking has been done to the boat. Check my post [My Quick Fluff & Buff Has Gone Awry] Its a good example of what a hack can do to a boat and cover it up with carpet.

Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325