Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Found this little clip on percussion testing stringers ... if it makes you feel any better. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r89a...g#t=374.562149).
    Reading through Michael Hunter's adventure, one has to think there is always more rot in there than you think.

There are two kinds of pre 93 Supras Those that have had stringers and those that need stringers. Its too easy to cover up , goo up ,half ass repair good enough to sell. Just assume any older inboard needs stringers unless it has had a documented stringer job with loads of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    There are two kinds of pre 93 Supras Those that have had stringers and those that need stringers. Its too easy to cover up , goo up ,half ass repair good enough to sell. Just assume any older inboard needs stringers unless it has had a documented stringer job with loads of pictures
    ^ Truth. Don't believe anyone's word that stringers have been done unless they can readily produce pictures showing it was a thorough and proper job. It's a very labor intensive job and something anyone who does it should be proud of and have documented. If the boat has original 30+ year old stringers it's only a matter of time.

That being said, how long before it needs stringers is the question. I bought my '89 Saltare 7 years ago. Seller claimed PO did stringers and floor, I could see some sloppy glass work visible and figured he replaced the floor or some parts of it. Motor and trans mount lags were tight so I took a chance, not really wanting to do a stringer job but willing to. 7 Years later I know the floor was patched and the stringers are original... But they're still solid where the engine and trans mount, in the rear where I've done some work, and at a couple spots I've mounted hardware dry healthy looking wood shavings came out and no issues with screw retention. Pylon is getting loose but I suspect that's more from my use of an extended pylon that rocks a little rather than rotten stringers. Eventually I'll do stringers, but until that time comes I'll keep on enjoying it. Best you can do is an educated gamble and sometimes you get lucky, but be prepared for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Motor and trans mount lags were tight so I took a chance, not really wanting to do a stringer job but willing to.
    How to buy a pre '93 Supra.

The pylon on my 84 Comp was lag bolted into rotten wood main stringers and was loose before I did the stringers. I doubled up on the main stringers and through bolted the pylon with 6 SS bolts.

When I eventually do the stringers I want to make a plate that is threaded or with nuts welded to it to through bolt the pylon. I've thought about doing a cradle as well, either independent or part of the pylon base. This would be particularly useful if going composite as most of the composite options don't have the screw retention of wood, so a through bolted cradle or bolted into inserts in the stringers would be prudent.

I dont think he liked what he heard since he never responded again and the boat was in his price range.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Wonder if there should be a sticky thread summarizing a few of these discussions on pre-93 Supras for folks looking to buy? Seems like stringer issues, where they leak, what to test before buying come up repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    Wonder if there should be a sticky thread summarizing a few of these discussions on pre-93 Supras for folks looking to buy? Seems like stringer issues, where they leak, what to test before buying come up repeatedly.
    I would second this motion, I bought an 86 Sunsport on short notice last summer and although it seemed fine to an untrained eye I am now aware of the huge warning signs and what lies beneath....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

Quote Originally Posted by zroe View Post
    I would second this motion, I bought an 86 Sunsport on short notice last summer and although it seemed fine to an untrained eye I am now aware of the huge warning signs and what lies beneath....
    hate to see that... been there.....
    86 Saltare