Default ShoreStation Lift Cable Snapped

I bought a used lift from www.liftsladdersanddocks.com (they are local to me) and had it in the water for about a month and the Salt on it for about 2 weeks.

I was playing with the bunks to get them set so I was lifting and lowering quite a bit and on the way up.... BOOOOOM... back end of the boat drops into the lake... This is the not the first lift the Salt has broke... Pulled her off and found this:

Got to reading about it and some people on some of the other sites have said it is better off to just buy a new lift tube because of how much of a PITA it is to try to change out the cables on them. I called the guy who I bought it from and let me tell you... This place has all of my future business. He replaced the lift cable (on a used lift remind you) and the winch cable as well. He said he felt really bad about it and wanted to make it right. So now that I have the cables, I watched shorestation's youtube video about 10 times and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about in changing the cables. https://youtu.be/bgSBOHcY9Yw

They made it look so easy with the tool they were using. So I took my crappy welding skills and my $100 Lincoln welder and got me about $20 worth of metal from Menards and made a tool that looked like theirs.

Took the lift tube apart and had it back together in about 20 mins with the help of my 8 year old! Super simple and a hell of a lot cheaper then the $600+ some people were wanting for a lift tube assembly.
    Last edited by jasun; 07-05-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    86 Saltare

Here are the tools:

and my helper!

And the Boat sitting happy on the lift again!

Last edited by jasun; 07-05-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    86 Saltare

and while I had the welder out, I made me a holder for my Steel!

Not the best welder, but they hold!

86 Saltare

It probably broke because of the Ohio State flag. I'd get rid of that before something worse happens!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    It probably broke because of the Ohio State flag. I'd get rid of that before something worse happens!
    Too funny! I was going to make a comment on the Ohio State flag as I scrolled through the pics.

Nice job! I wish I had the welding skills for making mods or tools when working on stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Yuck it up. I caught all kinds of crap from my neighbors too. I live in Notre Lame country up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

My Shorestation just bottomed out as well...with a Saltare on it. Stern side while going down in the lift and the boat went right in the water. I should have known because when I put it up for the last time, I could hear it slipping.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the $500 as you did. Nice work on that.

For those looking for Saltare lift advice for, my lift is rated at 4000lbs, 2K on each side. The lift is at full capacity with the Salt on it. 5000lb lift or greater is what you should be looking for.
    '87 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Fuscanini View Post
    My Shorestation just bottomed out as well...with a Saltare on it. Stern side while going down in the lift and the boat went right in the water. I should have known because when I put it up for the last time, I could hear it slipping.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the $500 as you did. Nice work on that.

For those looking for Saltare lift advice for, my lift is rated at 4000lbs, 2K on each side. The lift is at full capacity with the Salt on it. 5000lb lift or greater is what you should be looking for.
    I also had the Salt on it. Book says it's 3400lb dry. By the time you throw in 350 lbs of fuel, 140 lbs for 2 batteries and another 200 lbs of misc stuff you are above the 4000. Mines a 40108. The rated capacity and what the break load of new cables are are far different. There are 4 total cables in a shorestation vertical lift. A lift and winch cable located in the lift tube and 2 leveling cables that make sure the opposite side goes up and down.

https://youtu.be/n_UJRgAbfHk

Another thing to think about is have you done a stringer job? I have so, no wet foam in mine. I did weigh it before I did the cap off restore and she tipped the scale at close to 4600. So if you have original floors, stringers, and foam, I could see you needing the bigger lift!

86 Saltare

Just wanted to say "go bucks!"
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    Just wanted to say "go bucks!"
    About time my flag gets some love!

86 Saltare