Default Prop Shaft Issues 86 Saltare

Was out this weekend when all of the sudden the boat would not move. I could see it was going into gear and everything looked like it was spinning. Dove under the boat thinking I lost the prop but it was still there. Got back in the boat and realized the shaft had come out of the coupler.... Got a tow back to the lift and everything looked fine (except for the 1/4" key was bent bad). Luckily the last time I tore my rudder apart I lost the key so bought 12" of key stock... Cut a new one and reset the shaft and the 2 set screws. They were wired together so I am not sure how they backed out. I put some blue on them this time and set them and all seems good so far...

Any thoughts as to how it would have come out??
    86 Saltare

Hard in reverse? Hit something?

I hit a log last Labor Day and it pulled my shaft from the coupler (and bent the prop). I got it back together and ran it the rest of the season, but it was never the same again. That's supposed to be a shrink fit with ZERO play - ideally the set screws arent doing anything. That brass (or whatever it is) coupler is pretty easy to deform - a little runout is going to allow the shaft to wear an increasingly bigger hole in there..

I installed a new ARE Shaft system from skidim this spring, and not only does it not try to come apart every time I'm out, but it's balanced as sooth as can be now! The double taper design of the ARE system is really light-years ahead of how they made them in the 80's!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Thank man. Should I be worried about it coming out again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

Mine did. Keep an eye on the gap between the front of your prop and the strut - thats an easy place to tell a difference. Mine was actually closing up because the shaft was getting pushed further into the coupler.
    Korey Morris -

Happened to mine, too, long time ago. Shaft's keyway was trashed so shop advised replacing it along with coupler.

Repeated shifting in and out of gear, forward/reverse with lots of leverage from the prop/shaft can open up the smallest of gaps eventually. Without an obvious strike or cause might be yours wasn't seated properly and it worked open over time. Def keep an eye on it.

I forgot, I put an ARE in my Correct Craft too. I guess I'm a fanboy!

I also made a copy of this tool to pull the drive shaft apart and pull new bearings in (although that can be done with all thread and nuts).

I'd be willing to work out some sort of loan-a-tool arrangement on that if you;re interested.
    Last edited by korey; 07-06-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Korey Morris -