Default Fuel Pump/Filter Issues

Recently bought a 1985 TS6m and had it out on the lake for the first time last weekend. It has a PCM Ford 351. After running around the lake for 15 min or so the boat started lose power at higher RPMs and even died. The engine ran fine at idle and low RPMs but quickly lost fuel pressure at high RPMs. After diagnosing the problem I we were able to determine that problem most likely is in the fuel filter or fuel pump. After opening up the back and checking the pump/filter this is what I discovered. Is there any reason why there would need to be two fuel pumps? Any suggestions on a brand/type of replacement pump?
    2017-07-24 18.48.12.jpg

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

It was probably a "shot from the hip" on fixing an issue relating to heat soak of the carb. I have an '86 Comp with the 351W and do not have a secondary or backup electrical fuel pump and I do not have issues with heat soak. I would first eliminate that and then start diagnosing the problem after you return the fuel delivery to stock.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I removed the second pump this afternoon and will be installing a new stock pump and filter tomorrow. Fingers crossed that fixes the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Your boat should be strictly mechanical for fuel delivery. Are you replacing the pump on the engine?

Frankly I'm pretty new at this so I would appreciate any advise on the matter. I am going off the advise of the previous owner and a few others, mechanics included. Is there a mechanical pump on the engine that should be handling the fuel delivery by its self? Most of what I have found is saying replace the filter and pump to fix the problem. The previous owner had been using electric pumps like what were pictured for almost a decade without an issue. I am not trying to contradict you, just covering my bases. I'm happy to provide pictures to help with situations.
    Last edited by JayhawkTs6m85; 07-26-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTs6m85 View Post
    Frankly I'm pretty new at this so I would appreciate any advise on the matter. I am going off the advise of the previous owner and a few others, mechanics included. Is there a mechanical pump on the engine that should be handling the fuel delivery by its self? Most of what I have found is saying replace the filter and pump to fix the problem. The previous owner had been using electric pumps like what were pictured for almost a decade without an issue. I am not trying to contradict you, just covering my bases. I'm happy to provide pictures to help with situations.
    Your boat is a year older than mine, I can say for certainty that the electric fuel pump was added to "fix" a problem without actually addressing the problem. From the tank, the fuel line should run to the fuel filter bracket which should be on the left side of the engine at the front. From there it should have a line running to a fuel pump that is driven by the engine on the left front of the engine. From there fuel is pumped up to the carb. I have attached a close up of that pump and the line on my engine I took before I yanked the engine to do my restoration.

100_1849.jpg

This is what I have found. Whoever replaced the original engine with this PCM 351 decided to go the route of electric fuel pump. While I have a place for a mechanical fuel pump, there is not one installed. I have attached a couple of pictures to show you how they set the fuel delivery system. So I in order for me to enjoy the boat for the rest of the season I think replacing the fuel filter and electric pump is my best approach.
    2017-07-27 16.48.32.jpg2017-07-27 16.49.05.jpg