Default Difficulty pulling gas tank on 1986 Supra Comp TS6m

3 years ago I bought my 1986 Supra for wakeboarding on the lake where I live. It ran well the first year, but ever since, it stalls when idling or after running fast. Last year the morning after putting it in I found it sunk at my dock. Turned out the boot on the drive shaft was off the springs, probably displaced by the guy who winterized it. Since then it has performed even worse despite my pumping the tank at the gas filter five times and several bottles of Seafoam, etc. Finally, we rebuilt the Holley and the power valve was defective. Now it's running better, but still reluctant at start up and unpredictable other times. The mechanic says the problem is water: pull the gas tank and clean it dry with rags, then blow the lines and change the filters again. But I can't get the tank to move after taking off the 2 retaining brackets. I saw an old post suggesting to loosen the tank's seat under the aft locker where it might be stuck with accumulated gunk using a crowbar. But I'm not sure how much slack the filler tube, vent and fuel line have, and am afraid I may break their connections if I just try to slide it out. It is in so tight I can't see those fittings and hoses and no access from above. Anyone been into these tanks before?

Sounds like your rear locker isn't removable? Disclaimer, I've never worked on a Comp. Mr. Hunter will likely be by to help you in short order.

Those hoses probably don't have much slack. And, the filler hose is a bit of a b!tch. It's not terribly flexible.

Did you replace much of the electrical system after it went under?...battery cables, alternator, starter, etc?

Hey, thanks for replying, Salty. Yesterday I saw the pictures of the rebuild of your Saltare, and the tank looks a lot like mine, but mine is deeper under the locker without any hoses exposed.
    It needed new plugs, battery and starter, but the coil and distributor were just above water because it was docked at a shallow spot.
    I think it's mostly solved but for the residual water, and I'm not sure I have the guts to start pulling that big tank and risk major damage.

Running better but starting issues...no issues once started? Water in the tank would do more than make it hard to start.

Yesterday and today it was both starting and running OK, good for a few turns of the lake on my wakeboard with a rookie driver and it ran smooth. The Supra doesn't give me much of a wake, though.

I had replaced a clear in-line fuel filter, but today I tackled an in-line filter in the bilge and found it to be a Fram fuel/water separator that was mostly filled with rusty water. Maybe this is the issue. I can't seem to find a replacement filter and O-rings for it online, and doubt they'll have them at Autozone, so I may just replace the whole unit and see if this solves the problem before I pull the tank. I may try to find one with a clear bowl and a bottom plug so I can see if water continues to exit the tank.

The fuel filter is a Fram C111OPL and can be purchased at any auto parts store. Your gas tank is probably being held by the inlet hose and the vent hose. Its a lot of work and I don't see the need to remove it . There is a access hole in the ski locker to get to the gas gauge sender . You should be able to pull the sender and see into the tank. I agree with Salty87 water will cause more than just hard starts. What ignition do you have electronic or points? When you look at the engine from the side is it level or lower at the rear?

Thanks for your insight, Michael. The engine is pretty level. Original mounts. I have points. I had removed the access hole and was very disappointed to find the gas gauge sender not visible, it is a few inches to the starboard and I can feel it with my fingers. One solution would be to cut another access hole right above it.

I also thought I'd replace the separator with a new one I found on Amazon: a SeaSense with a clear bowl, an aluminum head and an easy to access drain, since the original is full of rust and inconvenient to drain the water from.

Have you replaced and reset the gap on the points?

I used a 4.5" hole saw to cut through the styrofoam ski locker to get at the fuel gauge and sucked out the gas with a shop vac. There was a half gallon of water in with the fuel. I'm letting it dry in the sun today, then I'll add hook it up again and see how she runs. A Moeller screw on fuel/water filter should be arriving on Saturday. I did the new plugs when it was winterized about one hour of run time ago.