Default Leak from exhaust/baffles

Howdy,
    I have found a couple of threads on this, but I need help with how to diagnose the baffles as the source of my stern leaks.
    I am pretty sure it's these. Not 100% though. It would seem as though I have to remove the fuel tank for starters.

I also found that there is carpet remnants stuffed under these, wouldn't think that is OEM.

Also, is there a reference to what the original water line is for these boats somewhere, in all me reading on the forum, it would seem that the foam is loaded with water under the floor and I wonder if this weighs down the boat.

Anyway, the problem I have is after a day of sitting in the water, the bilge is full of water, back to the stern. And it has started to rot the cross member that the tank sits on.

And I can watch the water trickle in from under the muffler/baffles.

I'll try to post pics.

Thanks

What year and model of boat? I don't think Supra ever put drains from the outer hull areas back yo the bilge? Are you suggesting that the water is coming into the bilge from the engine bay where the exhaust enters the outer hull area? I attached a picture of my floor pulled up for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

If you have the Supratrapps on the transom they need to be sealed periodically. Common source of leaks. Wet foam, rotted cross member...welcome to the club, lol.

Several places will leak back there. The support stays on the wake plate push in on the transom and can crack the fiberglass eventually (e.g. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z...825_103341.jpg).

The swim platform mounts can also leak, and the rudder packing can leak, although this seems less common an issue.

Your leaks is coming from the driveshaft packing, the rudder packing or seal, the exhaust through-hulls, and/or the platform brackets. Mine leaked everywhere except the exhaust (either never Supertrapp or already replaced with straight pipe through hulls) when I got it. I repacked the driveshaft gland, replaced the worn out rudder port, and resealed the platform brackets with 4200. Now my bilge is always dry, even after being in the water for weeks.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 08-01-2017 at 06:23 AM.

My CC had carpet remnant wrapped around the area were the muffler is secured to the hull.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    If you have the Supratrapps on the transom they need to be sealed periodically. Common source of leaks. Wet foam, rotted cross member...welcome to the club, lol.
    But they sound so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

I've only ever heard them on dirt bikes, not sure what they'd sound like on a big block. I'd imagine they need a LOT of plates to not be restrictive.

This thread lead me to a leak that i'd been chasing for a few years (including replacing the rudder)! I'm certain that those supertraps are responsible for destroying MANY of these 80's Supras... But they do sound good... Spent my first day on the water with NO bilge pump running every 30 minutes last weekend!

CHECK YOUR SUPERTRAP MOUNTING FLANGE SEALS!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz