Thread: Crack in hull

Default Crack in hull

Noticed a crack in the hull in my Supra launch ssv 2004 when preparing for putting it in the water. Insurance company won't cover damage, they say due to wear and tear.. I guess Supra don't have any guarantee either (I am second owner). Our marina can fix it for c. 8k USD. Does that seem like a fair price? I have attached a image of the crack. It is located on the starboard side. Is this a common problem?

Thanks

Hjalmar in Sweden

Skickat från min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

i would spend a few hundred dollars and hire a certified and independent marine surveyor to determine the cause.
    IMHO it doesn't appear like normal wear and tear to me.
    Sounds like your insurance company is dodging on paying for required repairs.
    Should the survey come back as not normal wear and tear I would then get after your insurer.
    Good luck.

+1. It sure looks like there is a point of contact where the hull got hit. I've been on the forum for about 5 years, and do not recall a single post of a hull that cracked from "normal wear and tear". These are very decent boats! They are not like some of the other marks that are prone to gel coat bubbling and cracking.
    Last edited by CJD; 08-15-2017 at 01:53 PM.

I would not waste your time trying to chase down SC on any hull warranty. If you read the fine print, 'limited warranty' has to be transferred, good for x number of years, yada, yada, yada.
    You have a 2004.

8k is a lot for that.
    2018 Supra SL400

Tha appears to be a gelcoat crack. Normal wear and tear and if isolated to the GC, will not leak. Welcome to the world of boating. Could have started from a impact, impossible to tell from a picture like this, the gelcoat, which doesn't give like the underlying fiberglass will crack and the fiberglass flexes. I have a area on my boat where a couple converge and make a "loose" area of gel that of I was to pick at it I could get it to come off. Like posted, all ypu could do is have it looked at by a expert and document of it is indeed deeper than the GC and fight with insurance. If it odds just the GC leave it alone.
    Last edited by CornRickey; 08-17-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

To me that looks like impact and then spider cracks from the impact. Not sure what is covered under warranty and not. (My launch had a bunch of those after falling over and rolling on the high way in the US before I bought it).
    8k USD might be alright IF they intend to make a mold of your hull and glass you a new one. Otherwise to me is should be more like 8k SEK.

You could consider having it looked at by an expert. Not sure if you could make the insurance company pay, it is certainly not wear and tear unless they consider hitting a log or rock as wear and tear.

If this is just the gelcoat and it was my Launch SSV I would grind out the impact area and all the spider cracks. Then let it dry until next spring. Then I would re-fill with a gelcoat filler (spackel) that is water tight. Sand down to good finish.
    If you have the tools it should take a couple of hours grinding, then an hour or two to fill and an hour or two to sand to a good finish.

If the crack is in the fiberglass you have a larger issue for sure.

Also, if the crack is in the gelcoat only, it will not leak, but it will let the fiberglass get wet, which, if you have your boat in the water for extended periods of time it will become a problem. Maybe even osmosis (plastpest or böldpest in Swedish) eventually.

Where are you at? I am in Gothenburg.

Mike
    Last edited by roosm; 08-17-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. Will let another independent expert have a look!

Looks like stringer stress.
    Where is it exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 5051marine View Post
    Looks like stringer stress.
    Where is it exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It is on starboard side, around the drivers seat.

Your insurance is scamming you in you have full coverage. I highly doubt that's from anything other than impact with an object. I'm not familiar with that specific hull but I'd estimate the stringer is a few inches inboard, approximately over the lifting strake. Large gel cracks or cracks into the glass of the hull from "normal wear and tear" are unheard of on these (and most) boats, anything other than small spider cracks in the gel near stress points can certainly not be considered normal wear and tear. If this is not from striking an object (which is very unlikely) then it is a manufacturer defect in the hull.

$8k is absurdly high for repairing that IMO, if it isn't through the hull for a large length and likely leaking. You could repair yourself reasonably easily if it's just get damage and and glass damage is limited to the point of impact. Read up on fiberglass and gel repair. Basically sand through the crack and lay down some glass mat (or thickened epoxy if small/minor) then gel. It's on the bottom so a perfect color match and finish quality isn't as important.