Default '88 comp rpm gauge

Put the boat in for the weekend at my grandparents cabin and noticed that the rpm gauge no longer is functioning correctly. It turns up to 700ish rpm, and will raise to 800 when lowering the throttle to plane, but will not read at higher rpms. Has the gauge gone bad? Or what else could be the culprit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be anything. You'll need to test the wires. Gauge could be bad or could be a loose connection

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

There is an adjustment on the back of the gauge that allows you to select a different cylinder to get the tachometer reading from, the only one you cannot select is cylinder 1 if I recall correctly. I would try that knob first.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

If it's the same as my '84 Rider, that switch is to set the gauge for 2,4 or 8 cylinder engines. The PO had broken it in mine, so I just took the gauge apart and soldered it permanently in the 8 cyl spot. That being said, it still didn't read correctly, and as I'm in the process of installing perfect pass, I pulled it out without troubleshooting further. I assumed that it wasn't reading correctly due to an aftermarket automotive electronic ignition but in your case this is definitely not the issue.