Hybrid View

Default 1991 Sunsport.....Removal of rear seat

Looking for "how to instructions" to remove rear seats and storage hatch on my 1991 supra?

Anyone have experience....that will help in the do's and don'ts for this project.

Need access to do some fiberglass work around the rudder box.

???????

The sundeck has a piano hinge. You can remove all the screws out of the hinge it is free.
    The back seat is not too bad. You probably need to remove the two vinyl panels that are screwed into the gunwalls (this give more room to lift out the seat ... I had to take mine off to get the new seat in, but can't remember if I could jimmy the old seat out without removing them). The seat is held down with two screws into the storage box. The bottom and the back come out together. They may be wedged in between the gunwalls, but it should lift straight out.
    The storage box should have a couple screws into the deck. Lifts straight out as a unit.
    To get complete access to the rudder box, you may need to remove the gas tank too (hopefully not though). I haven't had that adventure yet. I think the vent tube can be very stiff and may require some cursing.
    Last edited by scottschmitt; 09-12-2017 at 05:23 PM.

When I replaced the rudder port on my Saltare I removed the rear storage box tray and gas tank. I left the rear hatch on and propped it open. I siphoned as much gas as I could out of the tank and just stood it up vertically on one end. There was a plywood sheet (small) over the rudder, attached to the stringers with long staples and a few blotches of resin, which I removed. At that point I had complete access to the rudder. Seemed easier than hunting for fasteners to remove the back seat, but your mileage may vary. It worked for me. Wood in my rudder port was solid but if it needed replacing I would have had all the access I needed at that point.

Default Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    The sundeck has a piano hinge. You can remove all the screws out of the hinge it is free.
    The back seat is not too bad. You probably need to remove the two vinyl panels that are screwed into the gunwalls (this give more room to lift out the seat ... I had to take mine off to get the new seat in, but can't remember if I could jimmy the old seat out without removing them). The seat is held down with two screws into the storage box. The bottom and the back come out together. They may be wedged in between the gunwalls, but it should lift straight out.
    The storage box should have a couple screws into the deck. Lifts straight out as a unit.
    To get complete access to the rudder box, you may need to remove the gas tank too (hopefully not though). I haven't had that adventure yet. I think the vent tube can be very stiff and may require some cursing.
    Thanks for the replies......I tried to remove once before and it was to stubborn and wouldn't budge....but now that I know it should come out I will be more aggressive.