Default PCM 351 Ignition

Hi

First post. I have a '85 Comp and need to replace the ignition parts (cap, rotor, points, condenser, plugs). Question: what's the current consensus, stay with points or convert to something more modern?

David

I would put in a HEI system spread the plug gap to 45 and you are good to go?

I have to second the HEI, I installed the Pertronix brand and love it! It has been trouble free, and great customer service if you do need them.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Thank you both

My experience with Pertronix was terrible customer service and lies. I bought a unit, 1 yr warranty. A week or two before the warranty was up it failed on me when I was maybe 100 miles form home (used it in my car), but I put a set of points in and was fine. I called Pertronix and explained how I troubleshooted the unit and it basically seemed dead. They agreed and said they would replace under warranty but their computer system was down and to call back next week. I explained that the warranty was up next week adn made sure they would honor the warranty, made note of my call, etc. I was assured they would take care of me once they could give me an RMA number the following week. When i called back they declined to honor the warranty. I still have that dead Pertronix unit in a drawer. Pertronix is a sleazy company that doesn't stand behind their products. I replaced it with an Accel points eliminator kit and have had no problems with that in about a decade of use.

My boat also had a Pertronix unit on it when I got it. I had all sorts of issues with intermittent weak or no spark. Called Pertronix, wired it up a few ways and no change. I replaced the Pertronix with a Mallory Unilite distributor and no problems.

I will never give Pertronix a penny of my money. They're all marketing but their products sucks and they won't honor their warranty and stand behind it.

I suggest replacing your points distributor with a new electronic pickup unit. MSD bought Mallory last year so Mallory like I have is NLA. MSD is probably fine, DUI makes a marine distributor, and there are several others. If you use a points conversion kit you need to evaluate the condition of your distributor. If there is side to side slop in the shaft it needs to be rebuilt with new bushings. If it's a higher hours engine the original distributor is probably worn and it may make more sense to just replace it and ebay the old one.

I had Petronix in my SN for years with no issues at all. Had issues after the installation with the instructions and customer service squared me away. It was a compatability issue with the coil resistance.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001