Default 2005 Perfect Pass Speed Failure

This summer we went camping with the boat, and it was out in a couple pretty heavy thunderstorms. Three weeks later the speed readout on the perfect pass started dying a slow death, until finally it only showed “0” mph. The boat speedometer worked fine. Yesterday I finally got to work on it while I was winterizing the boat.

I replaced the Airmar triducer, figuring that was the most likely culprit. $240 to the dealer...but that wasn’t it. The boat speedo still worked...but no speed on the Perfect Pass. Here’s where my story really begins! Figuring it would save time if I have a wiring diagram, I called Skier’s choice, even offering to pay for a diagram. “It’s proprietary, so we only provide it to our dealers”. Really? You mean the dealer that charged me $240 for a sender I didn’t need?!?

I Spent half the day upside down and backwards under the dash, tracing wires. Another half trying to get through on the phone. I found all 4 connectors the speed signal is routed through, and finally determined all the connectors and wiring was intact. The only thing left was the Perfect Pass module. It worked in all modes, but would not read the speed signal. Hmmm. I called Perfect Pass to see if they offer a rebuild program or a replacement module. “If it’s a factory installed model, we usually prefer to upgrade to the latest GPS...blah blah blah...”. I am getting excited, as it sounds like a factory upgrade program that will save money and give me a better unit. “...for $800.”

Gulp! How about a wiring diagram for the module? “...proprietary...”. I am sensing a conspiracy here.

I broke out the heavy hardware (pulse generators, voltage supplies, memory oscilloscopes) and got serious about the module. In an hour I had the culprit. There is a tiny trace on the board that connects a resistor array to the 12v pin on the paddle wheel signal connector. The tiny trace had corroded through and was no longer providing the 12v signal to the resistor. The rain WAS a player in the failure. The module was not exposed directly to the rain, but the water and humidity went to work on a tiny trace on the board. 10 minutes later I had a jumper wire soldered in and the module is back to “speed”, so to speak. A day’s work overall, to find a tiny, design flaw in the PC board. Yes...it IS a flaw when you use a material in a marine application that easily corrodes. A $900 module should use gold plating on exposed circuit traces.

I write this to:

1). Provide help to future posters, as this trace will likely eventually break on all 2005 vintage Perfect Pass modules. The jumper goes from the 12v (red) connector for the paddle wheel signal to the end of the nearest resistor array. You can easily hold the board up to light and see the trace and where it should connect.

2). Vent how really $hiity Skier’s Choice and Perfect Pass customer support is. Proprietary? $800? BS!! I spent half of the day on the phone trying to get through the phone trees and holding patterns to reach a real person, only to be blown off.

3). A paddle wheel speed control is not worse than the new fangled GPS controls. The GPS is easier to install. Period. Think about it...if you wakeboard up river a GPS has no idea you are on a 4 knot river flow. Reverse and go down the same river and a GPS will pull you at 8 knots slower water speed. They can keep their $800 upgrades...I’ll stick to my paddle wheel which is exactly tuned to water speed.

I’m done venting. Hope this helps somebody in the future...

PS...with the new triducer I finally have a temp readout, which never worked before. So at least I got something for my $240?!?

PPS...Spell checker loves screwing with me. Spped?!? Sorry...it won’t let me edit thread titles...
    Last edited by CJD; 10-13-2017 at 01:07 AM.

12 years of service. I think it is normal to not to expect a free replacement after 12 years of service. Sounds like you have a background in electronics, how should it have been built?
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I wasn't asking for anything "free"!!! I was asking for a wiring diagram, circuit diagram OR a source for a new module. I offered to PAY for EVERYTHING I asked for!! You honestly think asking to buy a wiring diagram on my boat is expecting too much?

I already stated...in a marine environment the exposed contacts should be gold, or at least nickel plated. That is SOP and Mil Spec for marine electronics. If I am buying a cheapo, $99 part from China I expect what I found in the module. For a $1000 system, however, there is enough margin to add a $5 plating procedure to the product. For a $1000 system I expect better than "we'll gladly sell you a whole new system you don't need for $850 including shipping". If you make a quality product you offer a rebuild service or supply spare parts for purchase.
    Last edited by CJD; 10-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Next time your under the dash look at all the other components and connections.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Thanks for this information. I have the Wakeboard Pro paddlewheel version of Perfect Pass purchased in 2011. This is helpful if that ever becomes a problem. I initially has a problem with lines through the display, PP was helpful and sent a replacement display no charge and gave no grief when the Canada postal service was on strike so I couldn't return it for a month or two (why is Canada's post office always on strike when I need to send anything?). Still had lines but not as bad so I called it good enough as I didn't feel like screwing with it forever. A little disappointing for $990 but the system has worked fine for 7 years now. I too got the paddlewheel version specifically because I primarily ride on a tidal river. The current is normally several MPH at full tidal swing.

If I were to do it again I would go with RideSteady as it looks like a better value and has additional features I'd like. I'm not sure if construction is any better or more durable though.

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Next time your under the dash look at all the other components and connections.
    I spent 8 hours tracing every connector under the dash, so I’m very familiar with every single connector. Those don’t cost $1000. I only have expectations that correspond to the cost of the component. Perfect pass wanted to charge me $850 for a bad connection. I can replace any other connector under the dash for about $5. Surely you see the difference?

I hear ya Cadunkle! PP works great when it works, but trying to tell me GPS is better than the paddle wheel is only partly right. It is easier to install, and that's why they are pushing it. Glad to hear you had better luck with them. The corroded trace that I had was only one of several dozen traces in the module. Since you swapped heads and still have the same issue, it is very likely your module has a similar corroded trace issue corrupting the link to the head unit. Too bad you're not closer or I could try to "trace" it down for you?!?
    Last edited by CJD; 10-15-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quick follow-up. I was telling some friends at work about my module troubles. 2 more of them had replaced their PP systems over the years when they started acting up. As I suspected, the module design is an issue. Hope the knowledge of how simple it is to fix helps somebody in the future save a wad of cash.

Nice work and thank you for getting some headaches out of the way for the rest of us!