Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Junior member question

Hi All! Just got my junior forum membership badge! I have been reading on your great forum threads.
    I'm looking to get back into water sports with the kids. I have my eye on a '86 international. Supra boats all look so cool! I want to wakeboard and maybe surf. Ive been reading about stringers and transome rot. Im pretry mechanical so not worried about motor repairs too much.
    What do you folks think about the international model for my intended use or suggest other models please... I only see one for sale in the whole world. That could be people keep them or they all sank! Ha. I think I need the 454 motor as I live in Co and will use it at 9000 feet most of the time. The corporate treasurer says 12k tops. I could still put a rack on if it's the right boat. I've been all over the boat for sale sites just looking for months. This 1986 23' international with 454 keeps winking at me! I want to buy before the first of the year...any advice is much appreciated!!!

I thought I knew all about Supra boats but I must confess I have never heard of a International? Could you post some pics of the boat? Where are you looking Only Inboards,Boattrader and Boats.com are good places to find a wakeboat.

That's a good one - I've never heard of that one... It's not a V drive or anything wacky is it? I think what you have there is just a Saltare that someone put some fresh graphics on and confused the name. My title says 23' Supra Fish and Ski... I think it looks pretty good though. You should be able to find plenty of info on Saltares with 454s here, its one of the more common 80's Supras. I love mine, but they're certainly rot-prone. You can buy an unknown condition (so no documented stringer rebuild) for anywhere from free to 8k, and the real good ones seem to be asking over 10. There aren't many other 23' open bow inboards in the price range.
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Yeah...definitely Saltaré. International, that’s a new one.
    Nice colors. Check the floor and the stringers for rot.
    I wouldn’t pay 12k for it even with new wood underneath.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Still figuring out how to post here. Sorry!
    It's good to know what model it is. I guess I haven't seen a pic of a Saltaré profile in the water. Supra boats are sharp looking! This boat is in Texas for $9200 but I kinda have to wait a bit longer... I'll be able to spend 12k for the right boat. When did supra go to all fiberglass? Like '92?
    Thanks!

All fiberglass happened in 92. Boats with a round windshield have composite floors. The flat/square windshield boats have wood floors/stringers. The all composite boats tend to go for a little more than the older wooden stringer floors ... for obvious reasons.

BTW, the floor tends to get soft first behind the observation seat and the drivers seat ... if you are still considering this ride.

Thanks Scott! I talked to the guy. He said they replaced the motor mounts and all is solid. Definitely wood by your description. He's asking 9k $ it's a good looking boat! I kinda want to avoid wood construction though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Y View Post
    He said they replaced the motor mounts and all is solid.
    There is a longer thread on the wood vs. composite decision. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...f-a-used-Supra

It's something you have to live with once you buy in. But if the floor is solid and the motor mounts are solid, you may have a bunch of years before you need to get the stringers re-done.

You'll want to know a little more about what was done. Seems odd to replace just the motor mounts. Maybe they did the stringers and floor too, but he's emphasizing the motor mounts because that's what's really important here. Hopefully they have photos and other documentation of the motor mount/floor rebuild. Based on what was done, you'll need to guestimate how long it will last. If they did a good job, hopefully it lasts a decade or two. If you search the forum for stringer issues, you'll find a few experiences of people taking apart shoddy/patchwork re-flooring. It's not always pretty.
    Last edited by scottschmitt; 11-21-2017 at 11:37 AM.

There are two kinds of pre 92 Supra's Those that have had stringers and those that will need stringers. Once you take one apart and see the way it was built its hard to believe they last as long as they do. Keep in mind we are talking about a boat that is 25 years old or older. Paying top buck on a old boat with original or non documented replacement stringers is very risky.