Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 Comp Classic

Default 97 Comp Classic

I have a 97 Comp Classic I am looking to sell but have no idea what to ask for it. It is a great boat in pretty good condition. Minor repairs here and there needed and could use a new gel coat. Honestly, I don't know much about boats and can't seem to find any online to compare it to in order to get a good sense of what it may be worth. We enjoyed the boat for a couple of summers when a friend of mine owned it and I bought it from him when he upgraded. Ran it all last summer with no issues. Prior to me buying it my friend reupholstered it himself, installed a Bluetooth stereo with speakers and amp, and has replaced a few things on the engine. Only selling because I am looking to upgrade to a little bigger because my boys are getting older and we just need more space on board.

Any ideas on an asking price or if anyone is interested just let me know. Thanks and I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure its a 97 and not a 87? Nada boats is a good place to start for pricing . If its a 97 it would probably be worth having it buffed out for the sale.

Square windshield looks more like 87 design than 97 design.
    Looks lovely. Original wood floor?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Are you sure its a 97 and not a 87? Nada boats is a good place to start for pricing . If its a 97 it would probably be worth having it buffed out for the sale.
    There was that one year where they did a Comp Classic top cap with all composite stringers and floor. If I recall correctly, those all came with 350s instead of 351s for power plants though.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I have to go with the owner that it is a '97 model. The gauges in the 80s models would have been black not white.

The decals on the back sides where it says AWSA (can't read the rest) would have had a small Kevlar SupraTrac decal in small print IF an older model.

The decal on the side under the window would just say "Classic" IF it had the Classic package. Classic package for all 80s models would add deluxe 40 oz carpet, premium stereo system, three color select gel coat and classic decals. Would not say Comp Classic in full script.

The side graphics are indicative of a late 90s model. Two color with metallic flake. 80s models would be small 3 color rainbow with the Supra name in the stripe.
    Here the Supra logo is above the stripe. Looks to be original graphics with 20 years of age. Trailer is a bit rough but very 90s as well...no carpet on sides.

What is the boat worth? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The hours on the engine would be a main factor one would consider...low hours, probably worth a few hundred to a grand more than a high hour boat but I'd say its worth no more than $9,000 to $11,000 from what I can see in the pics. That's including the trailer. The only thing I find funky is that teak swim platform. Looks odd...like an aftermarket piece.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

The original swim platform would have been all composite and gel coat color to match the boat I believe instead of cream or white that most were in the day as well.

That’s an 87 and not a 97. I previously owned an 87 and 92 Mariah and the windshield is a dead giveaway. They rounded them when they went to all composite stringers. Like the previous post stated there were early 90’s square windshield boats that did composite stringers and floors but the true composite boats started in 1992. Nice ts6m boats with solid stringers and floors and mechanically sound with decent trailers will go for a solids 7/8k. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy has an all composite Comp, square windshield made in 1997 with a 350 for a power plant in it. So, the square windshield is only a dead giveaway for everything except a 1997 Comp.

Default 1997

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerW34 View Post
    That’s an 87 and not a 97. I previously owned an 87 and 92 Mariah and the windshield is a dead giveaway. They rounded them when they went to all composite stringers. Like the previous post stated there were early 90’s square windshield boats that did composite stringers and floors but the true composite boats started in 1992. Nice ts6m boats with solid stringers and floors and mechanically sound with decent trailers will go for a solids 7/8k. Just my two cents.
    If you read my post above thoroughly, you would have learned ways to tell a Comp Classic made in 1997 from one made in the 80s. It's not all about a square windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    My buddy has an all composite Comp, square windshield made in 1997 with a 350 for a power plant in it. So, the square windshield is only a dead giveaway for everything except a 1997 Comp.
    Exactly. Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner.

Now let me show you proof of a 1997 model and my facts above should support it.

First pic clearly shows an older model with 3 color stripe and kevlar supratrac decals.

The second pic clearly shows a 1997 model and it has a two color stripe with reflective vinyl with Supra positioned above the stripe. They did not do reflective vinyl in the 80s. Compare this boat to the original pics in Post one. Dead on to be its twin.

The third pic clearly shows Comp Classic below window. The older Comps would only say Classic only if it had the Classic package. (see what the classic package was above) Would not say both in vinyl.

The fourth pic clearly shows white gauges on the 1997 model. It also says Comp Classic across the back transom which is uncommon for 80s models.
    The swim platform is clearly fiberglass and matches the boat gelcoat. As I stated previously, I believe the other platform in the poster's pics to be an aftermarket as it would not have been teak and not that ugly if the teak was made by Supra.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Pop quiz, Hotshot! There's a bomb on one of two Comps that are side by side. One is square windshield and the other is rounded. The bomb is on the older of the two boats but you don't know which one that is. How do you tell if you can't get to the HIN numbers?

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242