Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Went to winterize and...

So i was pulling the plugs on my boat today (85' Sunsport) and when i pulled the one for the exhaust the water was black and a bunch of sand and rocks in there, ill post a picture. This is my second winter with it and last winter i didnt pull the plugs i just brought it up to operating temp and put antifreeze in. So im just wondering if that just happened from maybe the PO beaching it or what, the boat is far from pristine so it wouldnt surprise me. Also does anyone know what tool and where to get it to get these plus out? Its a big square..boat 2.jpgboat.jpg
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

The second picture which shows the aft end of the exhaust manifold is just a standard 1/2 inch socket wrench to get it out.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Maybe this is obvious. When you put the plug back in the manifold, know that the manifold threads are tappered. Don't pull hard on the plug to screw it in. They just need to be in a little more than finger tight. If you over torque them, you can screw them deep into the tapper and it will put stress on the cast iron manifold. Theoretically, you can crack the manifolds this way.

When I bought my boat, the manifold plugs were a little rotten. Skidim had easy replacements (http://www.skidim.com/PIPE-PLUG-3_4-...ctinfo/RS3533/).

I've thought about replacing the plugs with stop-cock drains (http://www.skidim.com/EASY-DRAIN-EXH...ctinfo/MCM003/) but haven't spent the cash yet. Using the socket wrench once a year seems ok right now.

The manifolds can have some flakes that build up. But the sand is odd. Wonder how well you can flush that out. Do your manifolds get too warm to touch when you are running? If so, you might have some blockage. If not, maybe it's not too bad.

Also, when you winterize, it is usually best to get the engine temp up and then drain the block and manifolds before adding the antifreeze. This way the antifreeze doesn't get diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    Also, when you winterize, it is usually best to get the engine temp up and then drain the block and manifolds before adding the antifreeze. This way the antifreeze doesn't get diluted.
    I lot of people do not understand this point when they are first starting the process on their own.
    2018 Supra SL400

it's pretty easy to add a sea strainer inline, i did the same with my '88 sunsport a couple seasons ago after finding milfoil and such stuck in the trans cooler when winterizing. easy insurance!
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Right on thanks for the help ����
    1985 Sunsport

2010 GMC 1500

Also, don't forget to drain the T bend. There should be 5 drains: two on the block, two on the manifolds, and then one underneath the hose that sits down by the water pump. And the nice thing about winterizing a warm engine is that the oil drains a lot faster and some/most of the residual water steams off when you drain the plugs. T drain.jpg

Dont forget to run your engine after you change the oil, otherwise you might as well wait till the spring.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

+1 on the add an inline strainer.
    First year with my Supra it overheated (slightly) since the oil cooler got almost full of seaweed. This also fried my impeller and I ended up exchanging the water pump.

I added an inline strainer which so far has never got too full within one season even though I check it occasionally.

Funny thing is the later model supras, from 2005 I believe, utilize an inline strainer. Only they put it on the fat sacs not the engine. Got to get your priorities straight! =)

Quote Originally Posted by roosm View Post

Funny thing is the later model supras, from 2005 I believe, utilize an inline strainer. Only they put it on the fat sacs not the engine. Got to get your priorities straight! =)
    The sprinkler valve ballast had strainers as debris would severely impede their water passing function. In 2009 they went to the jabsco impeller pumps and stopped the strainers.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug