Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Purchased an 84' Supra Rider

Hello all new to these forms as well as inboards. I have a few questions, first of all I purchased an 84 supra rider for a very very good price. The interior is perfect, it appears that the floors are solid, but I do have an issue where the motor mounts. They are completely shot. On one side the motor mounts are completely through the stringers and the other it is getting there, because of this I have no real good dimensions of the stringer size of where the motor mounts. Does anyone know how high that stringer has to be to be properly rigged? tIMG_1296.jpgIMG_9733.jpgIMG_3516.jpgIMG_1231.jpg

Do search on the stringer replacement, many have done it and so will you. My advice is to pull the cap off the boat and do it properly, might take the winter but by the look of it the boat deserves it. The riders are a classic and still worth some dough when complete.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Welcome to the forum. Gorgeous boat!! You will have to pull the floors to redo those stringers. It is well worth the expense. I was pulled around the lake this past weekend by an 83' rider. Nice boats.

Default Purchased an 84' Supra Rider

Welcome to the meeting place for the addiction! The only cure is more. A stringer job isn't that bad. Just take it one step at a time. I know looking at it now it seems overwhelming, but I have done a few and its really simple if you go step by step.

Here's a place to get you started https://suprarider.shutterfly.com/pictures/5 probably the best picture documentation of a full rebuild of one of these boats.

I too have an 84 Rider and this forum is the place to get advice everyone here will help if they can.

I'm of the opinion that if the floors are solid leave well enough alone, I know this is heresy here, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to redo the stringers, I guess it depends on how much time/money you have. If you put brand new stringers in for the motor, with a boat that looks as well cared for as that one you'll get heaps of fun out of it without pulling off the cap. Your floor may be solid because it's been replaced, but the stringers would not have been done because the engine stringers were not done. My floor is solid too, but that's because someone just put a new one in over the old one, I'm going to pull it all up one of these days but it's good enough for skiing for now.

Is the swim platform mounting solid? If you want to use the boat for skiing, you'll want to fix that up, it's not a big job if you just want to get it solid but it does require pulling the gas tank, I think the whole job took me a day, and it's a good way to get a feel for how much rot you really have without pulling up the floor.

If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

And yes, they're a good ski boat (that's why I bought mine)

Welcome to the group.
    Last edited by chris young; 09-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.

I paid 700 for the boat and trailer. It was a deal I dont think anyone could pass on. It even came with a great condition snap cover. I might just do a temporary stringer replacement under the motor then do a full overhaul over the winter

Also it appears that the dimension from the hull to the motor mount top is 5" can anyone confirm this.

I won't be back to my boat for a week or so, so I can't measure for you, but, if you take a straight edge from the ends where the stringer is undisturbed you should be close enough to bed in your new stringers. The dimension isn't super critical because you've got adjustment in the motor mounts. When you drop the motor back in make sure you align it correctly. There's a really good video explaining the whole process on you tube, I'll see if I can dig it up, I think it's on the correct craft forum.

Wow, I'd give you 700 just for the trailer. I thought I was getting a good deal and I paid 2200 for mine, no trailer, and your interior is in far better shape than mine. Way to go! Too bad about the motor mounts though. Hopefully the engine and tranny are in good working order.

Quote Originally Posted by 84suprarider View Post
    I paid 700 for the boat and trailer. It was a deal I dont think anyone could pass on. It even came with a great condition snap cover. I might just do a temporary stringer replacement under the motor then do a full overhaul over the winter
    $700??? thats a steal!!! Nice looking boat, do the right thing and pull the cap off, and redo the stringers and floor. I wish i could find a project like that for $700..... Welcome to the forum. Your in the right place, theres a lot of collective knowledge here.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I replaced the stringers in the engine bay with pressure treated 4x4s and glassed them in place. The rest of the stringers and floor are decent. I will most likely replace them in fall/winter of 2014/2015. I have attached some more pictures of it. I am getting ready to wet sand the hull soon to bring its shine back. Also does anyone know where to get replacement decals? Or any ideas for replacing the oddly colored stripe? IMG_2507.jpgIMG_2508.jpgIMG_2504.jpg
    Last edited by 84suprarider; 03-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.