Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New 2018 Supra Boat

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am pursuing a 2018 Supra boat, looking to purchase during boat show season. Three questions:

1) How has resale been for those of you who have sold your Supra?
    2) What do you typically see as discount off MSRP (generally speaking)? Ie, MSRP on Supra's website for an SA or SL well loaded is around $150K. What's realistic and how do I ensure I'm getting a fair offer?
    3) How has reliability been? I know Supra builds far fewer for purposes of quality. Does that strategy hold true?

Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and am pursuing a 2018 Supra boat, looking to purchase during boat show season. Three questions:

2) What do you typically see as discount off MSRP (generally speaking)? Ie, MSRP on Supra's website for an SA or SL well loaded is around $150K. What's realistic and how do I ensure I'm getting a fair offer?
    3) How has reliability been? I know Supra builds far fewer for purposes of quality. Does that strategy hold true?
    Might want to post this on the Moomba Forum. More of the newer SC boat owners are over there. Might get a faster response. There are a few that check in on this site.

Hard to compare MSRP and Boat show pricing b/c a lot have to do with how many boxes are checked on options and what that dealer has for pricing. Usually the boat show boats are ‘decked-out’.

I thought the SAs and SLs were around 135ish.

The Facebook page is also good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

The SL they had at the Atlanta Boat show was very nice. It retailed at MSRP for $148,085

The discounts during boat show totaled $25,407

Your drive out the door price with new SL would be $122,678. Boat show price may vary from dealer to dealer.

I would not buy one of these boats at MSRP. Probably wouldn't buy at show price either but that is a different thread. I have some pics I can post later.

As far as resale, I think the price of the new ones are keeping the price of 10-13 year old boats high. I have scanned the internet a lot the last few weeks and can't believe what some people think their boat is worth with 850 hours on the clock. Absurd pricing for a used boat.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I have not resold a boat, but have purchased a 4 year old Supra that original msrp was around 70k. I purchased that boat for 48k with 210hrs.

I shopped new boats some before I purchased my current boat and was getting offers for boats that were 130k msrp for mid 90k.

My now 7 year old Supra has been extremely reliable. Very few issues since I've owned it and nothing the makes me dislike it. Build quality is quite solid. Care in operation and maintenance make a tremendous difference in how well a boat ages. Wiping it down, keeping it out of the weather, wax and polish, and proper storage are all important factors. And when you drop that much change on a boat you really should be motivated to treat it like a valuable possession.

Just my $.02.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Thanks for the replies, helpful. Sounds like 25-30K off should be expected on a well optioned boat.

Mischief IV why would you not buy at show price?

Options start to add up fast. 440 motor is 6k, non skid floors are 800, steering wheel controls 800, surf pipe 800, upgraded racks 3k, etc etc. There is 10k right there.

A walk in the to the dealer price might be X.

A boat show price will the lower, but they still have room. If you cannot get the price to drop that much at the boat show price, to can have the dealer try to throw some options in.

Both are not close to MSRP.

If you are ready to buy, the boat shows will deal b/c they are looking to sell that boat and get another build going. Supra also has buyer options to buy there. The is a thread on this.

A new build works a little different b/v of build dates and where your dealer fits into that schedule.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    The SL they had at the Atlanta Boat show was very nice. It retailed at MSRP for $148,085

The discounts during boat show totaled $25,407

Your drive out the door price with new SL would be $122,678. Boat show price may vary from dealer to dealer. .
    $122 sounds ballpark. How much do you think that would drop? 5k?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks for the replies, helpful. Sounds like 25-30K off should be expected on a well optioned boat.

Mischief IV why would you not buy at show price?
    Here are some pics of the SL I was talking about. It was well optioned. I have to admit that I am no fan of the 2 letter Supra boats. Not a fan of pickle forks. However, after reading about this boat, watching a great review on it, and then getting to personally talk to Trevor Hansen about it for 20 min, I kinda came around to the new SL by Supra. (hard tank ballast, power tower, transom surf board storage, autowake, and steering wheels controls to name a few reasons)

To answer the question above as to why I would not buy even at show price...depreciation value.

There is a steep drop in value the first year. Typically, you can look at the MSRP of a new boat, then knock off around 25-35%. Thats what you'll loose the first year. Understanding that no one really buys at full MSRP, you can add in X% into the discounted purchase % to calculate a fairly decent resell price for the next year. Then around 5% per year for the next 2-3 years. Put down a hefty down payment if you are financing (15-20%), and you should NOT be under water if you sell in 5 years with 12 year financing. You should essentially be renting the boat for 5 years. Now, if you go with the 15 year financing, and opt to put down the minimum, you'll be upside down and should have a 10k contingency if you plan to sell at 5 years. More if you plan to sell sooner (due to the steep initial drop off).

The best would be to look into buying a 3 year old boat if your not concerned with having the benefits of custom ordering a boat to exactly what you want with the warranty you want. If you look at boat values, the resell values start to flatten off around years 4, 5, and 6.

Also, what you lose depends on how you take care of your boat, how many hours are on it, what options you have, and what kind of a deal you got on the front end.

All boats depreciate. There's no getting around that and with that being said, I cannot think of another way that I could spend my money and get more enjoyment out of it. My discretionary income will not allow a $125k purchase for just one boat. If it could, I don't even think I would. I've been happy buying 2-3 year old cars, trucks and boats over the years to much success. If you can afford it, then ignore my words. For those that don't live on the water or use it often like I do, I think it would be very hard to justify that huge expense.
    I bought my 242 with 4 years of age and 40 hours on the motor clock. Not sure I got as good a deal as 4alkings, but I did really well and happy with what I paid. I put over 100 hours on it this past summer and she looks like a proper Supra. Guess I'll have to wait 4 -5 years to see what the SL price will be if it ever comes to wanting a newer model.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

If you want to see what other manufacturers and/ or dealers are discounting, here ya go!

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242