Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2000-2002 Supra Launch SSV - OK wake for slalom skiing

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a 2000-2002 Supra Launch SSV and need some advice (newbie on your forum):
    We'll mostly use it for tubing/surfing/cruising on Lake Mead and Lake Mojave/Havasu, but I wanna be able to slalom with it once in a while too. How's the slalom wake at 28-32 mph? I'm not a tournament slalom skier so VDrive sounded like the way to go for seating, surfing, etc.
    I've been told on rougher lakes (and for better surf wave) get a 22 cuz 20 might be too small (even w ballast/people). We'll probably have 6-8 people but it'd be nice to have room for more if we need it.
    Thanks for the help

Its a survivable ski wake at best . Its much better at wakeboard and surf.

If you only want to slalom once in awhile. Find someone on the lake with a response, prostar, 196, or comp and ask if you take them surfing on your launch. Can you slalom behind there boat. Lol
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

So far, I lake tested a 98 21' Malibu Sunsetter VLX in AMAZING shape, looked at a 04 20' Tige V Switch that looked almost new and will look at a 01 22' Supra Launch SSV that needs some cosmetic work but is, I think, mechanically good (mechanic will do compression test and other checks).
    Any advice on which does a good job at rec slalom and surfing? If not, then I'll just go with foxriverrat's plan... Thanks

You are trying to get the best of both worlds. Like getting a truck that can have a smooth ride great gas mileage and have room for 6 but still be able to tow 20k . I have a Second generation Nautique 210 that does a pretty good job great on wakeboard and wakesurf ok at ski . Not even close as my comp on a slalom run.

Since I'm the only one that skis, then I guess we'll pick something that's better at surfing and live with the ski wake (until I find someone with a ski boat that wants to surf on mine). Thanks

What did you think of the VLX? I know the LX sunsetter has a good ski wake. Go to page 119 here https://books.google.com/books?id=oi...201998&f=false of the 1998 waterski boat buyers guide to read about the VLX also has the Lx too.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

If the LX sunsetter has a good wake, then I'm sure the VLX is the same or close enough. Thx.
    The VLX was amazing. It had lots of room and you could tell it was a solid boat. I've never been in a Malibu until that one, but it was easy to see why Malibu owners really like their boats. The guy has taken really great care of it. It looked like it was only a couple years old vice 19-20. The wake looked like it'd be pretty good for surfing with the addition of a suck gate (if that's what they're called). He had a wedge for it, but not the bracket so I'd have to buy one and install it. I'm not sure if I'd need the wedge or how it would change the wake, but if I get it then I'm sure I could find out on this and other forums. We're gonna be new to surfing too so probably wouldn't need it anytime soon.
    I take it you're Malibu's pretty sweet too?

Thx for the Waterski link foxriverrat. That's exactly the info I was looking for... You rock!

If you're looking at the VLX, 2001 was the only year that the VLX had a diamond hull. 2002-2004 the Sunscape was essentially the same boat as the VLX and also had the diamond hull.

The 98 VLX would be on the wake hull which is much worse for skiing. I had a 2001 Supra Sunsport, so same hull as the SSV, but it was direct drive. It was alright for skiing, really good for a DD to wakeboard behind, never surfed it. Now I have a 1995 Comp to ski behind and will never go back.