Thread: Newbie help

Default Newbie help

Hello everyone,

Just bought a 1989 supra ts6m. Needs resto. Paid 1000 and 300 for the guy to deliver it to me. Seats and vinyl are near new, engine has 600 hours. I won't have it until Saturday but will post pics next week. I will need some help. The guy has done half the work which is nice. The floor is removed. Rub rail and rivots removed engine and other parts removed. It's cleaned and the last thing needed is stringers removed and start repair and build. The reason I need help is I didn't take it apart so hard to know how to put it back together. Also I have not replaced stringers and floor total newbie.

Later

Lots and lots of measurements . I did my 84 a few years ago . Check out [My quick fluff and buff has gone awry].

Anyone have any pictures of what it's supposed to look like under the floor?

Hey Oggystyle,

Welcome to the club! I also picked up an older Supra which had been taken apart and needed stringers, etc.. I can definitely relate to where you are starting from. Mine is a Saltare but there are going to be a number of similarities. You can check out my rebuild thread to get an idea of what you are looking at.

Like Michael mentioned, lots and lots of measurements. Once you get the boat let's get a couple pics of the hull to see how far the guy has gotten with the stringer removal. You may still have enough to make out the basic locations of the stringers themselves.

Your key measurements are going to be around the motor mounts (spacing North and South + East and West, depth of the stringer at the mount, etc.). Once you get this and establish your floor height you will be looking pretty good. There may be some guys on here with your exact. Oat the can help with some measurements from their boats, but also keep an eye out on Craigslist etc in your area and see if you can find one that is up for sale you could go look at and pull a bunch of measurements off of.

One thing I kept in mind on mine was to make the overall height of the new stringer + floor to come in 1/2" to 1/4" lower than it was originally. The cap somewhat sits on the floor and I didn't want my floor to end up a little high and prevent the top from fitting in. If you miss high then you have to trim the glass around the bottom of the cap. I'm not 100% sure if the cap stands on the floor in the ts6m like it does on the Saltare but you will be able to tell.

Good luck! Keep posting up your questions.

Did the PO remove the foam, too? Hope so. That's a nasty job.

Cooose described it well. Measurements, reference points, try to cut the stringers out intact to refer back to later (if the wood is mush you might be able to save just the fiberglass skins), hopefully there's a lip around the perimeter of the hull from where the floor was. If so, to check stringer height you can setup strings from side to side. Lots of ways to go about it. The factory was not terribly accurate or sophisticated in their work.

Water trapped in the stringer/foam design is what destined these boats to needing rebuilds. Plan some drainage into your project and your work will easily outlast what Supra did.

He delivered the boat. He has already removed the floor, the foam and the engine is out. He removed the rub rail and has had the top cap off. All the stringers are rotted and need replaced. Thanks for the tips. I am gonna go at it this next week with a lot of photos and measurements. I'll post some.