Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 88 supra mariah top cap removal

I purchased a 88 supra Mariah with 454 last summer. It’s my first direct drive boat. Originally thought floor was solid but after running a season found Rot in my stringers. I’m just getting started restoring it. How hard is it to remove top cap and once it’s removed will boat Hull shift/flex to the point I won’t be able to get top cap back on?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0252.JPG

I did a comp be very careful to support the top cap it has a lot of flex and can crack it not supported well. The hull did bow out but it wasn't too hard to push it back . You may need a couple friends to help.

Nice grab.

Removal isn't difficult but the topcap is a little clunky to handle. The bow/dash/windshield is pretty heavy while the back end is feather light in comparison. You're only limited by your imagination & equipment in choosing a removal method. If that's your workspace you're off to a great start. Check my signature link for pics of what I did.

The hull will flex a bit once the cap is off. The sides will bow out in the middle. You'll want to push them in a bit so your new floor doesn't end up too wide. The trailer will do a good job of keep the bottom in proper position if you're leaving it on the trailer. You can also remove/replace one side of stringers before doing the other so there's always at least one set in place.

Good luck and take pics!

Ok ya gonna get it ready to pull today hopefully I can drag some friends over this weekend and pull it . Is there some specific places to lift on when doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Nice grab.

Removal isn't difficult but the topcap is a little clunky to handle. The bow/dash/windshield is pretty heavy while the back end is feather light in comparison. You're only limited by your imagination & equipment in choosing a removal method. If that's your workspace you're off to a great start. Check my signature link for pics of what I did.

The hull will flex a bit once the cap is off. The sides will bow out in the middle. You'll want to push them in a bit so your new floor doesn't end up too wide. The trailer will do a good job of keep the bottom in proper position if you're leaving it on the trailer. You can also remove/replace one side of stringers before doing the other so there's always at least one set in place.

Good luck and take pics!
    Ya that’s my shop it’s got more crap in it now lol i got a semi parked on one side but should be enough room to lift it off and work on it also got access to couple forklifts and a couple engine hoist.

I left mine in the sling for the duration of the work although some lumber was propped under it to take some weight off the front lifting points. Made cleaning up some wiring easy.

The cleats were used front & rear to lift from above. Since the bow/dash is so heavy we added a lift area just aft of the windshield. There's some lumber stacked in the curve of the topcap to provide support so it wasn't being lifted by the thin fiberglass. Mine already had some support there for tower leg bases.

The more guys the better. What's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    I left mine in the sling for the duration of the work although some lumber was propped under it to take some weight off the front lifting points. Made cleaning up some wiring easy.

The cleats were used front & rear to lift from above. Since the bow/dash is so heavy we added a lift area just aft of the windshield. There's some lumber stacked in the curve of the topcap to provide support so it wasn't being lifted by the thin fiberglass. Mine already had some support there for tower leg bases.

The more guys the better. What's your plan?
    Well your system look like it worked pretty good I’ll pry try to lift it off using forklifts and engine hoist I’ve already taken windshield and everything off so that should help with weight a little. Once it’s lifted I’ll set it down on a flat bed trailer I got. Should have 2-4 guys helping as well.

got the top cap ready gonna pull it tomorrow rigging up pulleys from a After’s in my shop to pull it it’s all loose already thanks for all the input.

When I put my cap back on after 3 months for the stringer and floor rebuild I found that the rear and front were had dropped down, so getting it back on was more difficult to align. I had just set it in the back yard as is, so all of the support was in the middle leaving the front nose and rear unsupported. Additionally the sides had bowed outwards under the pressure. I learned just how much fiberglass can creep over time. Anyways... I would suggest providing additional supports along each side of the cap to even out the load while it sits to prevent warping.

Quote Originally Posted by Milliken37 View Post
    When I put my cap back on after 3 months for the stringer and floor rebuild I found that the rear and front were had dropped down, so getting it back on was more difficult to align. I had just set it in the back yard as is, so all of the support was in the middle leaving the front nose and rear unsupported. Additionally the sides had bowed outwards under the pressure. I learned just how much fiberglass can creep over time. Anyways... I would suggest providing additional supports along each side of the cap to even out the load while it sits to prevent warping.

Ok good to know ya I just proved it up on flat bed trailer on boards and put cover on but I’ll try to brace it up tomorrow pulled all measurements I could think of and gonna start cutting tomorrow doing one side at a time