Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Gonna start laying glass as soon as I get help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok so I'm looking at fiberglass and reading everyones forms on how they laid in their stringers and I'm not sure what fabric to go with. I've did glass work before but nothing this big and I want to get the stringers done right so they last. What cloth or fabric is best for stringers floor ect. my local shop carries 8oz 6oz cloth and .75oz chop strand mat will any of these work or do I need to find something else? any help is greatly appreciated.

Okie's rebuild stands out in my memory for using a hybrid type cloth. The details escape me but something like cloth and mat combined in a roll. You might check out his thread or just look on US Composite's site. You can use any of what you listed but laying chopped strand mat separately from the cloth is just extra time/work and the mat is a little frustrating. It didn't like laying down over bends at the tops of the stringers even with their edges rounded off.

Working with bigger sections of cloth it helps to make everything as smooth going as possible. Imo, worth some extra bucks. I remember grinding the freshly laid glass off my first stringer because of air pockets where glass wouldn't lay down so it didn't get wetted out properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Okie's rebuild stands out in my memory for using a hybrid type cloth. The details escape me but something like cloth and mat combined in a roll. You might check out his thread or just look on US Composite's site. You can use any of what you listed but laying chopped strand mat separately from the cloth is just extra time/work and the mat is a little frustrating. It didn't like laying down over bends at the tops of the stringers even with their edges rounded off.

Working with bigger sections of cloth it helps to make everything as smooth going as possible. Imo, worth some extra bucks. I remember grinding the freshly laid glass off my first stringer because of air pockets where glass wouldn't lay down so it didn't get wetted out properly.
    Thanks salty87 I talked to a different glass shop near me and he pointed me in the right direction sending me some more stuff my way gonna lay multiple layers of each start with the mat then several layers of cloth. Glasses in some spots where I felt It got ground down too much. Any advice on keeping air bubbles out of glass when wrapping over stringers ? Or how to remove them effectively?

I have an 88 Mariah that I just sold today. This brings back memories. Is this the one that was on Boat Trader listed for $12k a couple months back?

Nope I give 6 for it not realizing it needed floor replacement;( oh well it’s a fun project gonna paint it as well and run it for a few years till I can afford a newer 24v

use 1708 glass round the top of the stringers and make a nice round transition (fillet) where the the stringer meets the hull i use liquid nails it takes some time to dry but does not shrink like pl glue. if you have use of a sand blaster blast the inside of the hull before you start glassing it gets rid of the the resin and leaves the glass so the new stuff bites to it. not trying to jack your thread pm me your number if you want to talk i can give you more suggestions but writing a ebook takes to much time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1986 TSM6
    1987 SALTERA

Quote Originally Posted by angus2112 View Post
    use 1708 glass round the top of the stringers and make a nice round transition (fillet) where the the stringer meets the hull i use liquid nails it takes some time to dry but does not shrink like pl glue. if you have use of a sand blaster blast the inside of the hull before you start glassing it gets rid of the the resin and leaves the glass so the new stuff bites to it. not trying to jack your thread pm me your number if you want to talk i can give you more suggestions but writing a ebook takes to much time
    That sand blaster sounds like a great idea grinding the was a mess! Thanks man any advice I can get will help man wanna do it right so it last me a few years till I can get a newer supra or moomba vdrive lol atleast that’s what I dream about!

Quote Originally Posted by roll.model View Post
    Thanks salty87 I talked to a different glass shop near me and he pointed me in the right direction sending me some more stuff my way gonna lay multiple layers of each start with the mat then several layers of cloth. Glasses in some spots where I felt It got ground down too much. Any advice on keeping air bubbles out of glass when wrapping over stringers ? Or how to remove them effectively?

On the air bubbles question...much like painting the key is in the prep work. I like the plastic style bondo applicators that come in a 3 pack. I lay the 1708 mat side up and wet it out, then wet out the area I'm going to glass, then put the glass and use a chip brush to start working it out. Pick up one of the oil drip sheet trays in the automotive section of walmart to use to wet out the glass. They are cheap, close to 3'x5', and work really well to wet out the glass. Next i just keep working the bondo applicators in a "squeegee" fashion to chase the bubbles away.

I also keep some harbor freight throw away scissors on hand to make relief cuts where needed on corners and such after the glass is wetted out.

I have some of the bubble rollers, but find the squeegees to work better most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    On the air bubbles question...much like painting the key is in the prep work. I like the plastic style bondo applicators that come in a 3 pack. I lay the 1708 mat side up and wet it out, then wet out the area I'm going to glass, then put the glass and use a chip brush to start working it out. Pick up one of the oil drip sheet trays in the automotive section of walmart to use to wet out the glass. They are cheap, close to 3'x5', and work really well to wet out the glass. Next i just keep working the bondo applicators in a "squeegee" fashion to chase the bubbles away.

I also keep some harbor freight throw away scissors on hand to make relief cuts where needed on corners and such after the glass is wetted out.

I have some of the bubble rollers, but find the squeegees to work better most of the time.
    Thanks for all the tips got some 1708 coming and will end up using that and my 6oz cloth and mat that I have already gonna get some squeegees as well got my main stinger ready to glue in my outside stringer wood won’t be here until Thursday hopefully glue them in this weekend so we can start the other side next week. How long will I need to wait to glass over Liquid nails?