Default Main Seal Replacement Tips

Been a while since I have been on here. Hello to all new and old members.

I own a 1984 Supra Rider with 351W PCM and Velvet Drive trans. I have been leaking oil out of the back main seal (seal in back of engine) for a number of years. Last year it became noticeably worse but just deal with it. This is one of my projects for this spring before putting her back in the water. I bought the new seal from Ski Dim last year along with a new flexplate. I don't believe the flexplate has ever been replaced so I know it is needed. I also plan on replacing the cutlass bearings while I have the drive shaft out.

I have never done this job which will require removing the transmission. I have seen some of the forum post and have a pretty good idea of how to support the engine while removing the trans. Any tricks or tips anyone can share with me would be much appreciated. Some

Questions to the forum

1. What is the best way to remove the shaft. It hasn't been out of the boat in over 9 years and know it can be difficult to remove. I was thinking about purchasing a heavy slide hammer but not sure that Is the best way. any tips on this?
    2. Any tips on removing the trans? I don't want to unbolt the mounts from the stringers. I have seen some posts where you can loosen and slide the the trans out of the mounts. again. Need some guidance here.
    3. When replacing the seal. I have a on piece seal, should I lube the seal in oil or use any kind of sealing substance with the seal or just put it in as it is?
    4. any tips of the flexplate replacement?

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I have some mechanical skills and enjoy doing this work. I find though that doing it the first time normally takes much longer. After I have done things once I realize how easy it was and could do it much faster the second time but I am always a little apprehensive when tearing into things and without having done it before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
    Dan
    1984 Supra Rider

1- You don't have to remove the shaft to remove the trans. If you are changing the cutlass bearings the shaft will have to come out. After removing the cuppler and prop the shaft should slide out .
    2- Remove the trans mount bolts from stringers you will need a chain fall to pick up the back of the engine and trans then block up the engine. Remove the trans to bell housing bolts and attach the chain fall to the trans and pry it back and out allowing the chain fall to carry the weight. Then you can remove the bell housing , flex plate and flywheel to get to the seal.
    3- You can pry the seal out the back of the crankshaft . There is a special tool to press the new one back in.
    Call if you need help 678-227-8833
    4-

After 9 years getting the coupler off the shaft may be a challenge. One trick is to separate the coupler from the transmission. Stick a loose socket between the transmission and the coupler. Tighten the coupler bolts and the socket can help push the shaft out. Soak it good with penetrating oil if necessary.

Can't help with the rest although I swapped out the flexplate way back when. Don't remember anything tricky about it.