Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swim platform modification

In the quest for a better surf wave I have decided to modify my swim platform on my 06' 21v. I could have bought a new one but the price just didn't fit the budget. By the time I get it up to Canada and pay the exchange it's above $1000. I decided to remove the stainless steel grab handle and narrow the platform 10". Here are some pictures of the progress.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    0621v

Some more progress

0621v

It's looking pretty good, nice job. Just curious, what did you base the 10" reduction off of.

Nice concept. I went full custom and made one similar to the new style. The stainless grab rail is deadly to the feet in my opinion. After getting my foot caught in it jumping into the water a few times, I decided to remove it all together.

Should work. I went old to new on the my 2007. It's the corners of the old platform that 'dig' in to the surf wake.
    2018 Supra SL400

Are you modifying the existing brackets on stern? Or having to remove any? Replace?

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Here are some more pics of the progress. I based the 10" off of the new supra surf swim platform (in the picture). It is 60" wide. Mine was just over 70" so I took 10" off. The new platform is 36" long. The one on my boat is only 24" long. On the new platform the corner is at about 18" from the transom. That is about the same location mine rounds. I was worried about putting too much leverage on the factory transom brackets. One of the other reasons I did not buy the new one. There was a problem with swim platforms ripping off on these boats because there was not support on the inside of the transom. I already fixed it on my boat. That was not fun...

0621v

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    Are you modifying the existing brackets on stern? Or having to remove any? Replace?
    No modifications to the brackets. Basically just screw the factory brackets to the bottom of the platform with a sealer on the screws when done.

0621v

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    It's looking pretty good, nice job. Just curious, what did you base the 10" reduction off of.
    The 10" brings it down to the same width as the platform on the new boats.

0621v

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Should work. I went old to new on the my 2007. It's the corners of the old platform that 'dig' in to the surf wake.
    Yes. I am hoping the wave will have a little more ramp to it when done. I think the platform was rounding it off. It was surfable but I am looking for more. Probably going to install FAE this spring as well.

0621v