Default Bimini tops and bilge accesses.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking to replace my convertible top with a bimini so as to be able to walk under it and have a greater shade area in the boat. Tips from those who've put one on? What would you do differently?

Next, I'm having the deck replaced now. That little bilge access hole has always bothered me. Ya, you don't get in there every day, but it sure would be nice to have a bit larger access. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by skiman_61 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking to replace my convertible top with a bimini so as to be able to walk under it and have a greater shade area in the boat. Tips from those who've put one on? What would you do differently?

Next, I'm having the deck replaced now. That little bilge access hole has always bothered me. Ya, you don't get in there every day, but it sure would be nice to have a bit larger access. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jack
    Bimini top throws several issues at you aside from color selection.
    First is what length of top to shade how much of the passenger area/ cockpit.
    Second is height. Are you wanting to stand straight up ( which would place your top at a ridiculous height ) or are you willing to bend down? Personally I would look at about 18 inches over top of windshield for height.
    Your best bet is to look around at similar boats that have a bimini and find one you like in terms of the above.
    As for the access hole ,again a personal choice but never have found it an issue when changing out pumps or wiring of same.
    Is the effort worth the risk and reward?
    Good luck!

Thanks.

Don’t need to stand up under it, but it would be nice to have a bit of space above the windscreen.

If I still had my 16 year old arms the bilge access wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Still, no fun trying to get anything in or out of there.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by skiman_61 View Post
    Thanks.

Don’t need to stand up under it, but it would be nice to have a bit of space above the windscreen.

If I still had my 16 year old arms the bilge access wouldn’t be as much of an issue. Still, no fun trying to get anything in or out of there.

Jack
    Perhaps you are correct re bilge access. My mind still tells me I am 16 and can do all those things but it is my aging body that tells me I am in fact lying!
    Good luck!

If I were redoing one..... I would cut the front so that it has an access panel across the entire bilge. It would look like the rear access panel. I have had to work in the little access hole many times of the last 20 years and it is not any fun. Just my two cents.........

Quote Originally Posted by ngavchris View Post
    If I were redoing one..... I would cut the front so that it has an access panel across the entire bilge. It would look like the rear access panel. I have had to work in the little access hole many times of the last 20 years and it is not any fun. Just my two cents.........
    That sounds like a good idea. I've got a larger (8") screw cap access. The stock cap has always been a pain.