Default 1995 Supra Comp rudder issues and no drain plug

Have a 1995 Comp TS6M with the GT40 351. I am pretty sure that the previous owner hit something with the rudder, and I am also pretty sure that this is the boat I have now: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...anyone-has-one

Don't know how hard things got hit, but I'm trying to determine if there was fiberglass work done. The rudder has to have a number of washers put in to space the tiller arm up high enough that the rudder sits flush to the boat underneath by the prop. Also odd, is that there is no rear drain plug. The features surrounding it are all there, and if someone did fiberglass work, they did a pretty good job...

The tiller arm needs about 5/8" spacing to make the rudder sit correctly in the boat. Is there a piece of plywood or something missing in the area that the rudder port sits?
    20170729_154547.jpg

For example, see the second picture in this thread: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...steering-cable

If you look beyond the FAE, you can see where the drain plug would be, but it doesn't exist.
    20180405_185404.jpg

Thoughts on this are appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Or, am I missing a spacer like this? https://www.skiboatpartsonline.com/i...product_id=491

It looks like the wood block for the rudder port is missing. I believe it is about 10"x10" adhesive to the floor, then glassed over, then the holes are drilled thru it. The wood is structural there (as far as holding the rudder port and distributing the force) without it I would worry that when the rudder is turned and the prop wash is pushing the rudder you would eventually fatigue the fiberglass and cause a hole. Also, there is supposed to be a wood block for the rudder cable clamp bracket, is that missing too? Here are a couple pics from when I was rebuilding my 91 comp, that show both blocks.IMG_6459.jpgIMG_6460.jpgIMG_6550.jpgIMG_6564.jpg

the spacer you show there I believe is to go inside the rudder port, but not a supra. its a wear item for other brands

Both are missing. Going to address the issue in the next week or two, I will post pictures of what I do. Thinking about using Coosa board to keep it composite.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyrds View Post
    It looks like the wood block for the rudder port is missing. I believe it is about 10"x10" adhesive to the floor, then glassed over, then the holes are drilled thru it. The wood is structural there (as far as holding the rudder port and distributing the force) without it I would worry that when the rudder is turned and the prop wash is pushing the rudder you would eventually fatigue the fiberglass and cause a hole. Also, there is supposed to be a wood block for the rudder cable clamp bracket, is that missing too? Here are a couple pics from when I was rebuilding my 91 comp, that show both blocks.

I have a 97' Sunsport that I have owned for 20 years. It never had a rear drain plug installed in it. I guess they didn't install them in every boat. I bought and intended to install one years ago but it is hanging in my storage room.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavchris View Post
    I have a 97' Sunsport that I have owned for 20 years. It never had a rear drain plug installed in it. I guess they didn't install them in every boat. I bought and intended to install one years ago but it is hanging in my storage room.
    Good to know.

Got the interior torn apart for the heater install and adding these structural pieces. Using Coosa Composite board instead of plywood in hopes of never dealing with this again. Got the areas mostly sanded down and test fit the Coosa.20190323_162858.jpg20190323_162909.jpg20190401_195433.jpg20190401_195420.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the length of the rudder shaft is? I'm wondering if either the shaft on this one is too long, if the feature for the tiller arm bolt isn't at the correct location, or if the plate on the exterior of the boat is aftermarket and allows this rudder to come up too close to the hull.