Default 1988 Supra Comp Transmission/Help!

Hi All,

Newer member, picked up my first inboard this winter. a 1988 Supra Comp, 351W with the velvet Drive 1:1. Boat is in mint shape, new stringers ect. I picked it up on Saturday, put it in the water on Sunday, was slowly cruising around the lake and the boat was running like a charm. I then noticed that it started to run pretty hot so I shut it off. I had the impeller replaced before I picked the boat up. Thinking they may have put it in backwards.. idk. Another issue I have is that the trans fluid was changed in the fall before winterizing, when I looked in the bilge by the tranny there was red trans fluid down there.. not aton but enough to be worried.. also now the boat will go into neutral, and the throttle will move freely in neutral, but when I push the button in and put it into gear the throttle will not move forward or backwards. Any ideas? There is still plenty of fluid in the tranny, not sure why the throttle will not move while it is in gear.

I'm guessing the pink fluid in the bilge is actually trans fluid and not spilled pink anti-freeze from the winterization .... I usually end up with some anti-freeze in the bilge, so maybe you get lucky that way.

On running hot, if the water pump were upsidedown (which is easy enough to do), the engine would get hot really quickly, so that seems unlikely. Check the water hoses. If they are old and soft, they may collapse and you don't get as much water flow as you need at high rpms. Also, check for debris in the transmission cooler, which can also limit high flow. It isn't hard to take apart the water pump and inspect the impeller vanes. You usually need a new O-ring when you put it back together or it leaks a little.

Check this thread on possible throttle fix - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-ASAP-in-Maine

The last page or so of this thread has a breakdown video- https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...rse#post131191