Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Time Supra Buyer Seeking Guidance

Hi, I have owned Tige's and was searching for another or a Malibu when a couple of Supra's (2011 & 2012 24ssv's) caught my eye. After losing on both of the 24ssv's I was chasing, I am in pursuit of a 2012 22sv. I'd love your guidance and expertise on the 22 foot Supra. It has the standard 5.7L 330hp motor and 1650 ballast. We love to wake surf, so my first question is with upgraded ballast does this boat put out a good wake? Does it feel underpowered with full ballast? Thoughts on that motor?

What is the forum consensus on this boat? It is very clean, has under 300 hours, and I think I can get it for $52k. Good price? My first preference is a 24ft, but according to the specs the 22 is not much smaller than a 24. The spec sheets show 1.5ft in length and 2" on the beam. I've never even considered a Supra and I'm very impressed with the styling, fit and finish of this brand. Thanks for your input and help.

Hello and Welcome

I have a Supra 22' it's a 2007 model. SC built a lot of the 22' models from ?2006 ? until the year 2013. Right around that time they phased out the 22V (Sunsport and Launch) and stared marketing the SA. That SA was 22-23'. Then another redesign happened in 2016 with a more freeboard. The models now refresh about every 3-4-5 years.

PRICE - $52 is probably about right depending on hours, interior, and service records.

SURFING - the boat throws a great surf wave. It needs 1100s in each back locker, Center 100%, depending on the bag it may be 600-1000#s, also bow weight to lengthen the wave. Some will throw another 400-600 on the surf bag on the back floor. Most people are using even or 100% surf/80% non-surf for the weight distribution. Throw a suck-gate or surf gate devise on the opposite side.

MOTOR - if you are sacking-out the boat and running 3-4 people, you will be fine. If you sack the boat out and have a lot of people onboard, the 350 will struggle with the stock prop to plane out. I swapped mine out to a ACME 1433 4 Blade 14" x 14.25" Propeller. That can be used for all models from 2005-2013 on the Launch and Sunsport. It dropped 2-3 mph on the top-end (not exactly sure) and runs more rpms, but the boat takes off out of the hole. Huge difference. Even when loaded down.

22 or 24 are great boats.
    2018 Supra SL400

That was very helpful thanks. I'll post some pics if I buy it. I've been scowering all the online boat classifieds across the country and I think this is a pretty good price assuming it's as clean as they say.

I just realized this boat is a Sunsport. Does that change any of your commentary?

Default First Time Supra Buyer Seeking Guidance

Nope. The Sunsport and Launch have the same hull, but a different interior setup. Launch comes with a playpen seating - Sunsport has a walk-thru up front.

Sunsport usually has steps by the back bench. With a air pump in the steps.

Stock ballast was different from the factory. Sunsport had a 400-600# center. Launch had a 1100# front.

I do not have it on my boat, but the wrap around seating is nice. Without steps.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 04-25-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

About a year ago I found a 2009 with 65 hours around NashvilleTN. 22' Launch. Red/Black. Stored in a garage. I think the guy wanted high $50s.

Boat sold fast.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Here is a price check for you. Local trade. 2010 22' Launch. 430 hours. 345HP. Z5 Bimini for boards. Asking $48K - will probably get mid 40s.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/bod...566316137.html
    2018 Supra SL400

I bought 2012 Sunsport 242 with ultra low hours for a few grand more than you mentioned on this 22 footer. That was a year and half ago. 52k seems high to me.
    There’s always the asking price vs final price. I would go lower.

If you take a lot of people with you to the lake, that extra 1.5 feet will pay off. Looked at both size boats myself and although just the wife and I, opted for more room when the extended family and friends are onboard. Beam is a bit wider and makes for a more comfortable ride for all and produces a great wake for surfing.

Agree with MJHKNOX’s comments on rest. Prop makes a huge difference for surfing and 5.7L is strong motor. Just make sure to balance out boat or will struggle out of the hole if all the weight is justified towards the rear of the boat.

Good luck.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Thanks for all the feedback. I test drove the boat and put a deposit on it. The boat is super clean, it looks hardly used inside and out. On the test drive I had all the bags full and couldn’t get a wake to form up. The lake was rough that day so I’m going to chalk it up to that. I’ll buy the bigger bags for the back and that will throw a nice surf wake? On the price, based upon inventory around the mountain states area the price seems to be right in line. If you compare the condition of this boat to others I have looked at I would say it’s a good deal. There is nothing available right now that is this clean, this year, with low hours.

Here are some pics and is this the best prop for surfing?

Definitely a good looking boat. Spring isn’t the time to buy a boat but if you like it and if it’s the only one around, I can’t blame you for picking this one up. Love the color combo.

Need bigger bags and a wake shaker and you’ll be fine. Just hope they knock some off that sticker price for you.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242